Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

what to do?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakesredrock
i had read on this site and others that, that is what it "should take". i just feel like i was getting price gouged. the lift was like 650..then installed and everything was 1850 total... 1200 dollars worth of labor...
Funk that price dude, that is gouging, for a 3 inch kit no more than 5 hours tops. And that would be not knowing and stumbling through on the phone with the company. Screw that, the price quote is way high.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

The shop that is doing my RE long arm kit is charging me 10hrs @ $90 per. I would have done it myself it it were a bolt on kit. But I am not comfortable welding on suspension brackets just yet. So I would buy a set of tools if you mechanically inclined OR Find another shop.

My .02 I would spend the money I was going to pay for a shop to do the work on a nice set of tools.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... 1200 dollars worth of labor...
That's way too much. The shop I went to did my Clayton lift and drive shafts and that was $500. I sold my old tires and wheels so the work was basically free.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i had read on this site and others that, that is what it "should take". i just feel like i was getting price gouged. the lift was like 650..then installed and everything was 1850 total... 1200 dollars worth of labor...
1200 for install?????!!!!!! $crew that!

Here...lets work this out...and these are very liberal prices...I'm SURE you can find better deals...
$80.00 for a half decent Torque Wrench
$75.00 for some deep impact sockets (metric and imperial set)
$50.00 for a decent 3/8" drive wrench/socket set
$20.00 for a strong arm 1/2" drive to go with your impact socket set
$15.00 for a couple decent large crescent wrenches
$50.00 for a couple jack stands
$5.00 for a few blocks of wood
a decent days worth of work (took me 8+ hours for my 3" lift by myself)
...what are we up to...maybe $300.00? Plus now you have the tools to keep and use whenever you need to continue working on your Jeep yourself...lot better than 1200.00 ridiculous dollars!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

i have found a shop that will install a 4"superlift, labor, tax,
out the door for $1472.. I asked if i could buy my own lift and
have them put it on, he said they could do that for $600...
these sound fair, huh? Just need to decide on a company and pull the trigger... any suggestions? im really leaning towards teraflex
Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Former Vendor

There are allot of good ones here. I went with Clayton, but Teraflex was on my short list.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:05 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

I did the wifes myself, took me around 8hrs, 3" bds coil lift. The place I bought it from wanted 400. Very reasonable.

I used 2 jack stands, jack, torque wrench, 1/2, 3/8, ratchet, metric size sockets,

You should be able to beg, borrow, or steal the tools. My wife helped a little, she stood on the rotor to push it down so I could get the spring on.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsp
I did the wifes myself, took me around 8hrs, 3" bds coil lift. The place I bought it from wanted 400. Very reasonable.

I used 2 jack stands, jack, torque wrench, 1/2, 3/8, ratchet, metric size sockets,

You should be able to beg, borrow, or steal the tools. My wife helped a little, she stood on the rotor to push it down so I could get the spring on.

ya man, I'm tellin ya, if your remotely comfortable turning a wrench and know which way to loosen and tighten a bolt you can install your own lift....but that's just my two cents....it's up to you, but I highly reccomend you get yourself some tools and read over the write ups in here
Old 12-05-2008, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

I am with the purchase some tools crowd! I have been turning my own wrenches since I was a kid, and who knows how much money I have saved over the years by doing so... Spend an afternoon getting to know your JK installing your own lift; she will love you for it, and you will have tools for future mods.

Heck, for the money the first shop you talked to about a lift install is wanting to charge, you could pick up a portable scissor lift like mine and really make life easier for future mods... I have owned it for 5 years now, and the fact that you can roll it out of the garage on nice days and wrench outside is a nice bonus. That and it makes power washing the underbody a breeze after a day of wheeling. And you can even do some urban flexing for fun!

Last edited by SteelMastiff; 12-05-2008 at 04:49 AM.

Quick Reply: what to do?