Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What? Dumping!?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What? Dumping!?

Apparently if you have too much mud on your rig, you are legaly breaking the law if you wash at the self service car wash places.
Pulled up to an american car wash after being completely coated, got just into the compound and the manager comes storming out of the office screaming and flailing his arms. I calmly open my door (because rolling down the window would do the horrible scccrreeach from mud on it.) and ask whats going on. The man is screaming at me! "you cant wash that thing here, if you do your braking the law, its called dumping, and i swear if you try i will call the cops!" so the man continues to tell me if i try to wash at any american car wash on that road he's calling the fuzz! Sure enough i leave to go to my buddies house (he has a garden hose. I live in an appartment.) to wash my rig.
Sure unough on my way back home i pass the place and there is a cop car out front with the manager pointing at me as i drive by!!!!!haha
Old 07-11-2009, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's discrimination isn't it??
Old 07-11-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unless the tub was completely full of mud and dirt, there's no way it could be considered illegal dumping. The cop probably just laughed at the guy.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha those places suck, the trick is to go when no one is around, though one by me claims to have a camera recording 24/7, no ones ever there, but I cant find any camera.....went to one down in FL and they actually had a sign up asking to use the last bay for any heavy mud washing
Old 07-11-2009, 09:00 PM
JK Freak

i got bitched for "clogging up the drains" once... i just ignored the guy and kept on washing!
Old 07-11-2009, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

If there is a sign posted "no mud", then he can refuse service and call the police if you refuse to leave. If there is no sign, then there is no prob.

A lot of the places I wash my Jeep at have signs saying: no loud music and no mud.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JUSTIN01
If there is a sign posted "no mud", then he can refuse service and call the police if you refuse to leave. If there is no sign, then there is no prob.

A lot of the places I wash my Jeep at have signs saying: no loud music and no mud.
Around here any business can refuse service to any person at any time for any reason.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by crazynova
Around here any business can refuse service to any person at any time for any reason.
No they can't. Otherwise there would be white men only no women/black/gay/furry customers. It's the law. If they don't have it posted, and they don't have a legitimate reason, they can't make you leave. Of course, mud in excess of the machine's ability to handle is a reason.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
No they can't. Otherwise there would be white men only no women/black/gay/furry customers. It's the law. If they don't have it posted, and they don't have a legitimate reason, they can't make you leave. Of course, mud in excess of the machine's ability to handle is a reason.
Actually they can....or at least in Texas they can. Any business has the right to refuse business to anyone, and the right to do so without providing a reason. It's more legitimate if they at least have a reason though I agree.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

As a courtesy, when my Jeep is muddy I wash it at home before taking it to a car wash to finish. I can understand where the car wash owners are coming from: It takes a shovel to clean up my driveway afterwards. And, it's usually full of rocks from the muddy roads that have been graveled to improve the road surface (in vain, I might add). I certainly would not want that getting into a drain/sewer system that I owned and/or maintained. As I said up front: Regardless of the law, this is a simple courtesy.

Quick Reply: What? Dumping!?