Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What is the hardest thing you have conquered with open diffs?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Starting to think I don't need lockers. Maybe I can save up for the friggin expensive Gobi ranger roof rack after all!
Lockers first they will help you a lot more than a rack will.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Lockers and. A winch are almost the most important thing you need other than armor! Stop being silly.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Tom's trail will eat up open diffs all day! Come on down if you want to see why you NEED LOCKERS! To run the rocks. Peace.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HeatTreater
Lockers first they will help you a lot more than a rack will.
True that But who doesn't love a nice rack? Sorry couldn't resist.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi

Jeeps with and whitout lockers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO4DXXYBoGY
Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Toughest thing I've done is Metal Masher in Moab. Handled it mostly OK. There were a few routes there I didn't even try because I can't lock up (yet). Two of them were Moab Rim and Behind the Rocks.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HeatTreater

X2

tom your trail was much more fun when i was blowing gears and axle shafts way back when lol
Old 11-10-2011, 02:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JdTms11
X2

tom your trail was much more fun when i was blowing gears and axle shafts way back when lol
Don't forget Judd you were running all the hard lines too!!
You need to come back down since my jeep is down I've been working on the trail it's better now!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mostly stock
Tom's trail will eat up open diffs all day! Come on down if you want to see why you NEED LOCKERS! To run the rocks. Peace.
I don't know John. Jae ran all his open. You think lockers would be an absolute necessity for Tom's trail?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Default JK Experience

JK Experience Main Event 2011, Rocky Mountain Run. Day 1 on Holy Cross Trail, I ran the first two or three(?) obstacles in 4hi, no lockers engaged. On the fourth(?) obstacle, it was the first log jam of rigs and backed up due to some locals in non Jeep rigs(ford ranger, 4runners) that probably had bitten off more than they could chew. By the time the line of JKX's rigs had began to traverse the hardest of the small waterfalls at the top of a rock garden there were two lines of attack, I picked what looked to be the harder. When I reached for the transfer case shifter to drop into low, it felt like the linkage was bound up so I rolled backward about 20 feet to take some of the torque windup out of the drive train, the shifter was still overly tight, so I dropped it all the way back into 2wd and thats went it went to completely loose. The freaking 30cent plastic shifter cable bushing had broke and I was 30-40 feet from the obstacle with only 2wd. No big deal, I will engage my rear ARB lockers and get it done. My ARB failed to engage the rear lockers, the compressor was running nonstop, meaning insufficient or no air was getting to the differential, I had a leak somewhere in the system. There were only about 60-70 people and at least 10 movie cameras and umpteen point and shoot digitals about to capture me bailing on an obstacle. I got the approach angle set, used a little left foot brake to keep the drive train from getting shockloaded if I had to come on and off the gas and hammered up and over in 2wd hi with open diffs. Hopefully it makes the final cut in the JKX video, I will be the only JK bombing up an obstacle everyone else crawled. Because of the two injuries to my rig, I missed the next days "Carnage Canyon" run, which was only completed by 3 JK's, definitely bragging rights there!! Bottom line: GO BUY THE ADVANCE ADAPTERS JK TRANSFER CASE SHIFT CABLE......NOW, or keep a handful of the plastic bushings in the jeep and get used to working in hot, tight areas underneath the jeep.

Edit: deduct 10 style points, I just noticed my hood was not latched on the drivers side. So not cool :(

here is the local traffic, just before the obstacle which is ahead of and bewteen two guys on the left and one guy next to the truck

my rig coming thru the rock garden in 2wd

my rig about to climb the waterfall

me up and over the fall, I think I am yelling at a photog to get the hell out of the way.

another perspective of the obstacle, the Falken Tire rig coming back down the same waterfall.

Last edited by GCM 2; 11-10-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Quick Reply: What is the hardest thing you have conquered with open diffs?