Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What has happened to our community?

Old 02-13-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree more. I used to have a lifted ZJ, even i always waved and everyone would wave back. Now with my jk, i still wave, and a lot (like everyone else has said) are people who appear to not know what a jeep is really about. I'm 24, but a few of my friends who i went to school or worked with liked my jeep once they saw or rode in yet. I know someone who bought a JK unlimited as their "out of college and real world car", and has never taken the soft top off then there's others who don't understand why you would drive through a mud puddle you don't know the depth of (well maybe that happens to all of us here and there! hahah).

To each their own i guess..at least the people who wave back, you know won't cut you off on the way to their kids school function.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

The Jeep wave is an interesting thing for sure. As a "new to me" stock JKU Rubi owner, and a former built TJ owner, the wave comes naturally. I wave and get waved at allot, stock, built, YJ, TJ, JK, it doesn't matter...

I am a bit of a Jeep snob, in that I don't initiate the wave if the approaching Jeep is a Cherokee, Grand, Liberty, etc, etc., unless it is obviously an off road vehicle.

When I had my TJ, I noticed that when I had the doors off, if I did the "low and out the door" wave, EVERY jeep I passed waved back. I figured it was because who else but Jeep folks got to ride around with the doors off?

All we can do is keep waving and hope that folks start to understand...

Tim
Old 02-14-2014, 07:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In this day and age of people texting while driving, my eyes are on the road, not at who is waving at me.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Ya but the people waving are on the road....
Old 02-20-2014, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

I've had a 4dr stock JK for 2weeks now. Wave at every Wrangler I see. I'm adding an Antenna X so maybe some of you modded guys will wave back now?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Val 2.0
This is probably dumb, but what if we petition Jeep to make/create/promote the more common "Jeep-isms" every time the dealerships sell a new Wrangler? The "Jeep Code" if you will, "Jeep Commandments"...

1. Thou Shall Wave to Other Jeep Wranglers
2. Thou Shall not Wave to Hummers
3. Etc...

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve913
I love this!
I completely agree with it though. I bought my first jeep in April of last year. While i was finalizing the paperwork the business manager started telling me about the jeep community and educated me on the jeep wave.
I bought my first Jeep in February of 2013. a JKU Sahara. I was told about the wave by the salesman. When I first got the Jeep I was waving all the time, most of the time it wasn't returned. Now I wave about half of the time, I'm normally zoning out on some tasty tunes or trying to pay attention to the other vehicles around me since it seems they pass out driver licenses in Cracker Jack boxes these days.

Waving is nothing new to me though, I ride a motorcycle, I wave at other bikes. I'm a truck driver. When I drove a trash truck I waved at other trash trucks. Dump truck, other dump trucks, etc. People waving back no matter what I'm driving/riding has gone down. I think people are just lost in their own little world and just don't see ya.

I don't have one of these but you could always get one so you never miss giving a wave ....

Old 02-20-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by USMC20yrs
What has happened to our community? I remember when I bought my first Jeep ('81 CJ-7) and every where I went, as I approached another Jeep, I was always greeted with a friendly wave. And I always waved back. It was just one of those things between owners to let you know that you were part of something and not alone. Well, life happened and along came a wife and kids and the Jeep wasn't practical, so away it went. But the thought of that super fun vehicle and that wave never left me. (I still waved, just not as many were returned.) Now, here I am a couple of decades later, and the kids are grown, the "wife" (not wanting to be vulgar) is gone, and I have finally got another Jeep. I came across this Website and asked a few "dumb" questions; which were answered by some very friendly folks who didn't seem to mind my ignorance. And a whole bunch of "welcome back" greetings. (I thank you all for that.) And once again I felt I was part of a very friendly community. However, as I began my wave again, I have noticed that only a couple of times have I received a return wave. (I even wave to the Cherokees and Libertys) Have we lost that friendliness? Has the world we live in gotten us so skeptical and leery of each other that we can't return a greeting to a fellow owner? Come on folks it isn't a commitment to your fortune or inheritance; it's just a greeting to some who shares the same enthusiasm for this unique and still extremely fun vehicle. I'll still keep waving, but I hope that soon I'll get more return waves. Thanks for listening.
I'm a new jeep owner and the idea of becoming not just a jeep owner but a part of I guess a new type of life with new to come friends with the same enthusiasm was what drew me to the wrangler even more than it being just an awesome vehicle. If I see a jeep and they don't wave sometimes I blow the horn and throw my hand out the window. I make sure they wave! Lol
Old 02-20-2014, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

I am new to the Jeep community (just bought my 2014 JKU a week ago today!) and noticed in my first 10 miles of driving that all Wranglers were waving at me. I originally thought everyone was feeding me a line of shit when they told me there was a "Jeep/Wrangler Wave." So sorry to the first 6 Wranglers that I didn't wave to! I love feeling like a part of the community with the wave and thanks for welcoming me. Something that no other vehicle has.

With that said, be sure to wave at THIS JKU Stock, just haven't had the chance for upgrades quite yet. Planning to put a lift and bigger tires on this summer so mods to come.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TJGoff
I've had a 4dr stock JK for 2weeks now. Wave at every Wrangler I see. I'm adding an Antenna X so maybe some of you modded guys will wave back now?
LMFAO! Like I said previously, I'll return all waves. I just don't initiate waves to stock 4 doors.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MrChuckles

LMFAO! Like I said previously, I'll return all waves. I just don't initiate waves to stock 4 doors.
This is my third wrangler. Had a tj, lj and now a jku. I'll tell you what, more jkus wave than any two door jks or now a days tj cj yj lj owners do. Atleast here. Now back in early 2000's, pre jk days, every wrangler or cj waved. Its the problem of jeep doing way to well with the two and four door jk. Lots of ppl just buying a name. Just like Harley. Lots of way better more powerful more reliable bikes, but your buying a name. Blah well I still wave to all and only get back 20% of waves.

Quick Reply: What has happened to our community?