Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

what is the point of having a cb

Old 10-11-2010, 07:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the point of having a cb

i see allot of guys have cb radios, why ?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jtjk
i see allot of guys have cb radios, why ?
It makes it very easy to talk from Jeep to Jeep, as opposed to having to pull over and talk all the time.

Also, if someone needs help, they sure do come in handy.

A lot of Jeep clubs actually require a CB for their runs.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's like a chat room that you just talk and listen to everybody else on the same channel. It's pretty simple really. You can ask questions about what is further up the trail and if it's safe, or radio in that you or a Jeeper near you requires help, or alert others that there is a recovery happening on a certain trail, and to stay clear for the next hour or so. It's a useful tool. I have one as well, but when not on the trail i'm sure i would use it a ton more if it had weather channels on it.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have one then you are being made fun of by the other jeeps and you don't even know it.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by remark
If you don't have one then you are being made fun of by the other jeeps and you don't even know it.
Ssshhh... Don't let everybody in on our secret
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
JK Junkie

Most places you can off road do not have cell coverage either, so it's just another way to call for help if needed.

There's also VHF, which is a better quality sound and goes farther, but requires a license. The club I'm a part of will usually place someone at the front and the back that have VHF due to their range and sound quality.

Lastly, there are the small hand held ones, but they have very limited range, don't believe the packaging that says 25 mile range, in a forested or hilly area, you'd be lucky to get a 1/2 mile out of it. They also have very poor sound quality.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scouter4life
Most places you can off road do not have cell coverage either, so it's just another way to call for help if needed.

There's also VHF, which is a better quality sound and goes farther, but requires a license. The club I'm a part of will usually place someone at the front and the back that have VHF due to their range and sound quality.

Lastly, there are the small hand held ones, but they have very limited range, don't believe the packaging that says 25 mile range, in a forested or hilly area, you'd be lucky to get a 1/2 mile out of it. They also have very poor sound quality.
how would you get a license,
is this what you mean by vhf
w w w .thegpsstore.com/Standard-Horizon-Eclipse-GX1000S-DSC-VHF-Black-P2015.aspx
Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by remark
Old 10-11-2010, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Aside from trail use, they're good on the highway for traffic updates, detours and spotting COPS.

Damn Cops.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtjk
how would you get a license,
is this what you mean by vhf
w w w .thegpsstore.com/Standard-Horizon-Eclipse-GX1000S-DSC-VHF-Black-P2015.aspx
http://www.electronicsfleamarket.com/schedule (De Anza Electronics Flea Market)

Check out the link, a lot of the groups that participate in the flea market can get you info on how to get an FCC license.

Pat

Last edited by toad; 10-11-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Please no direct links to non-sponsors

Quick Reply: what is the point of having a cb