Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What are some must have mods to start with?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some must have mods to start with?

I'll be ordering my jeep sometime next year from Kuwait. Still debating on if I want to save some $$$ and get a 2011 and supercharge or just go with a brand new 2012 Rubi. But anyways, Ive always loves jeeps ever since I road in my sisters 94 wrangler with a little 4cyl. with the doors off, it's just awesome! Will modding, (lift kit, headers, exhaust...) void the warrenty?

What do you guys think are the most common or just smartest mods to do first? Ive made a wishlist of some stuff I'd like to get, might not get it all at once since it totals about $4,000.

I've got:

Windshield KC light brackets & front grill light brackets, with lights.
heavy duty floor mats for entire jeep.
aFe pro 7 drop in air filter
AeV snorkel
Garvin AXE and SHOVEL brackets to go behind spare
Smittybilt src rocker guards
Smittybilt xrc8 winch
Smittybilt src front and rear bumper
JBA shorty headers
gibson catback exhaust with dual tips
Rough Country 4" lift

Im going to run stock rims, might paint them black, I like the way they look and once my stock tires are done, throw 35's or 37's on it. Anyways, That's about all I'd like to do to my jeep, besides window tint... What do you guys think would be the best things to start with.. and if I run headers, lift and exhaust, will I NEED to get a tuner, like superchips flashpaq?

Thanks guys
Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't supercharge a 2011. Sorry.

The ECU is not hackable yet. So you cannot use flashpaq or any type of tuner.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 08-29-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

You cant really void your whole warranty, just bits and parts. Anything that can be directly responsable for breaking due to an aftermarker mod would most likely no longer be covered. For example: suspension lift would void your suspension componants most likely but would not void your warranty for your engine. It only effects the area that you change stuff with. I hope this helps
Old 08-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I would skip the headers and get a tuner when one is available for '11's and '12's
Old 08-29-2011, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would skip the headers and get a tuner when one is available for '11's and '12's
Why skip the headers? I'll have money for both.

Do they not really show any gains with the jeeps?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Only headers I would spend money on are Ripp!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 PM
JK Junkie

I say invest your money towards extra armor and strengthening your axles. A good CB radio if you plan on going on some trails, definitely some recovery gear like straps, snatch block,D-rings and a good winch. If you plan on going to bigger tires right away I say get the ARB air compressor and some a decent set of windshield lights. That's my two cents ,most people neglect some or the basic recovery gear and it always comes I have handy even when you're not the trails, the armor and strengthening is just added insurance to enjoy your JK longer.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Freak

Mopar door sill protectors. Your feet will hit that area a LOT.

2-door
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13113_202.htm

4-door
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13113_203.htm
Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
I say invest your money towards extra armor and strengthening your axles. A good CB radio if you plan on going on some trails, definitely some recovery gear like straps, snatch block,D-rings and a good winch. If you plan on going to bigger tires right away I say get the ARB air compressor and some a decent set of windshield lights. That's my two cents ,most people neglect some or the basic recovery gear and it always comes I have handy even when you're not the trails, the armor and strengthening is just added insurance to enjoy your JK longer.
x2. I always advocate recovery gear. And if that seems unsexy, think winch

Underside armor is good too - you can probably get away with stock armor, but the more daring you get and the bigger rocks you attempt the need for armor will increase accordingly.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, as far as armor, I'll be getting a steel front/rear bumper, steel fender flares, rockguards and maybe some corner plates...would Dif. armor be a good idea or no? And do the stock rubicons come with oil pan skid plates?

When you're wiring up the lights, do you NEED to buy switches or can you wire it up to work with the stock light switch?

Quick Reply: What are some must have mods to start with?