Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

What was your Trade in Value?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eraujk
actually with that quote they gave me, a prorock 44 would put me at $3000-5000 (depending on where i got all the pieces). For those prices, my jeep would almost be considered totaled for the 6500...
Not really comparing apples to apples there since you are upgrading the front axle... if you to a d30 take off from another jk would be less than $2000
Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trading in an '04 X Auto / Hardtop with 67k. Agreed amount of $8500 towards a factory order. (Can't wait !!)

ps. The auction amounts may be more realworld for dealer tradeins ... such as Manheim ect.

Last edited by CrushChic; 01-20-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have experience from trading in a JK but February of 2011 I traded in my 2003 Liberty and got $4500 for it. It had 130,000 miles, tires were bald, needed brakes, check engine light was on, front bumper was all smashed up.

Two Suggestions:

1) Try a different dealer. My friend was trading in his Audi and got quotes that varied by $3000 from different dealers.

2) If you can avoid it don't take what you want to trade in. I drove my GF's car with trading in the Liberty told them what I had and they gave me a price without looking. Its all a game.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got 9k for a 2003 liberty renegade with 100,000 miles, and door rot. Ended with 2011 JK.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got offered $26,500 for my 2010 rubi 2dr. haven't accepted yet, still think I can do better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Mar 5 2011-2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	267470

will be keeping most of my mods for the new one
Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mariner
Just got offered $26,500 for my 2010 rubi 2dr. haven't accepted yet, still think I can do better.

Attachment 267470

will be keeping most of my mods for the new one
$26.5 for a 2010 2 dr Rubi and you are keeping the mods? You need to jump on that before they come to their senses!!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

2008 Rubicon.

No power doors/locks.

Simple CD/Radio.

Deep tint was only option other than Rubicon standard equipment

Trade in value $21,750 Canadian plus I got to keep the soft top.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer
Generally speaking... just because KBB notes a vehicle being worth $10,000, that doesn't mean a dealer has to give you $10,000 for it. They may start with a similar number, but what they offer you is going to be net of reconditioning, any repairs they feel are needed, and what they think they can get for the vehicle through auction or resale. If they buy the vehicle from you for $10,000 and that is what it is worth to the public... they won't make money on the transaction. In all sincerity, and coming back to your situation, $3,000 difference isn't much when you consider the reconditioning, potential repairs, and the whole part where this is a business and they won't follow-through with the transaction unless they can make money.
Sorry, I gotta call BS on this. KBB has two values. One for private sale, another trade-in value. If you are using the trade-in value, it has the marketing, re-hab, and repair costs estimated into it. A dealer that says otherwise is just trying to get your vehicle at under-market value.

You must be a dealer...
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by efryday
Sorry, I gotta call BS on this. KBB has two values. One for private sale, another trade-in value. If you are using the trade-in value, it has the marketing, re-hab, and repair costs estimated into it. A dealer that says otherwise is just trying to get your vehicle at under-market value.

You must be a dealer...
I used to be the controller for a family of eleven dealerships. I'm not advocating a dealership, I'm telling the thought process of the dealership. If you read my post... I felt it was pretty clear that I was speaking to what to expect. From my standpoint, there are two big mistakes people make when starting the buy process -- (1) They set their hearts on a vehicle and not necessarily their budget; (2) They think their vehicle is worth $X (because KBB, NADA, etc. give you an average) and while it may be to the right person or dealer, the dealer doesn't have to give you $X. You can shop around and get $X, most likely, but those who get pissed off because a dealer "low balls" you... it's a business, businesses fold when they don't make money.

Regardless of the applicable number, it's an average... an estimate... not a hard number representative of your specific vehicle. There are many variables that go into what a dealer offers you, one of which is their desire to make a profit. Furthermore, the respective market shifts the moment after the NADA/KBB guides/numbers are published.

Last edited by Joe Boxer; 01-24-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have a Carmax anywhere near you? They will give you $9000 at the very least whether or not you buy a car from them.

I would not be upfront about damage with a dealership. I would only be upfront about damage with a private sale.

Most dealers want to rip you off. They do not care about your finances, they care about theirs. If they can legally screw you and make a profit they will.

They are definitely taking advantage of you. I take great pleasure in ripping off vultures at their own game.

If you want to go the private sale route, start calling junkyards and try to find front axle that is not bent. Will save you a ton of cash and let you get an honest sale with minimal profit loss.

Quick Reply: What was your Trade in Value?