Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wheel spacers and corrosion

Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacers and corrosion

Next Monday I will receive my spidertrax wheel spacers from Northridge Canada

I read somewhere that corrosion (of the aluminium) can be an issue with the wheel spacers after many years

What can I do to prevent corrosion of the wheel spacers? Grease? oil treatment? any other suggestion
Old 03-25-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon
Next Monday I will receive my spidertrax wheel spacers from Northridge Canada

I read somewhere that corrosion (of the aluminium) can be an issue with the wheel spacers after many years

What can I do to prevent corrosion of the wheel spacers? Grease? oil treatment? any other suggestion
I assume this is an issue of dissimilar metals/galvanic scale. You can try painting the surface the spacer will contact on the Jeep to keep the metals from contacting. Keeping them dry would help, but we all know that's not an option. Grease may help, but it will wash away eventually.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spidertrax are anodized, which will cut down mightily on corrosion, spray bomb the mating surfaces of the spacer and the hub with rustoleum. Let both dry then reassemble.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Spidertrax are anodized, which will cut down mightily on corrosion, spray bomb the mating surfaces of the spacer and the hub with rustoleum. Let both dry then reassemble.
It makes sense, thanks for the info
Old 03-28-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
Get a bottle or tube of anti-sieze - apply it to the hub where the spacer meets
X2. Annodizing and paint don't work all that well (at least here in the snow and salt capitol of the entire civilized world). Three months after we put Spidertrax spacers on my daughter's TJ I went to rotate the tires and couldn't get two of them off without a lot of sweat and aggravation. Since then, I've coated the back of the spacers in anti-seize and I've never had another problem.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by skibum
X2. Annodizing and paint don't work all that well (at least here in the snow and salt capitol of the entire civilized world). Three months after we put Spidertrax spacers on my daughter's TJ I went to rotate the tires and couldn't get two of them off without a lot of sweat and aggravation. Since then, I've coated the back of the spacers in anti-seize and I've never had another problem.
sweet...that's an answer for me to remember when it's my turn...
Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't see why it should be a big issue, your wheels are aluminum no different from the spacers. there shouldn't be any more corrosion with the spacers after a few years than just the wheels.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
Get a bottle or tube of anti-sieze - apply it to the hub where the spacer meets

Just a small bit of helper info here from an OH SH$T back in the day, if you do put anti seize on the hub use a VERY small amount. A seemingly small amount added to it will seep and capillary action to lots of different places like your lug nuts.

Trust me from expirance when your driving and see a lug nut fly in front of you and you think to your self man somebody's about to have a bad day! then some Karma comes in and some weird vibrations. and whammo you lost 3 lug nuts and the studs are magically covered with anti seize. luckily i stopped before the tire came of but i did spend 4 hours that night on the side of the road installing new studs.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mariner
I don't see why it should be a big issue, your wheels are aluminum no different from the spacers. there shouldn't be any more corrosion with the spacers after a few years than just the wheels.
The wheels are aluminum but the brake discs that the spacers also attach to are steel. Steel+aluminum+road salt+wet=galvanic corrosion. And FWIW, around here, it can be a bitch to get your wheels off after any length of time for exactly the same reasons and you've got a lot more leverage with the wheel and tire than you do with just the spacer.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tweakecho
Just a small bit of helper info here from an OH SH$T back in the day, if you do put anti seize on the hub use a VERY small amount. A seemingly small amount added to it will seep and capillary action to lots of different places like your lug nuts.

Trust me from expirance when your driving and see a lug nut fly in front of you and you think to your self man somebody's about to have a bad day! then some Karma comes in and some weird vibrations. and whammo you lost 3 lug nuts and the studs are magically covered with anti seize. luckily i stopped before the tire came of but i did spend 4 hours that night on the side of the road installing new studs.
I always put anti-seize on my studs. I never had issues. I use the torque wrench each season to tight at 100 ft/lbs

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers and corrosion