Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

When to buy?

Old 06-21-2017, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When to buy?

I'll be in the market for a new or slightly used JKU sometime in the next year. Currently, I have a 2013 JK that I'll be trading in on it. I've already decided that my next Jeep will be a JKU; I won't be considering the JLU. So, I'm trying to figure out when the best time will be to purchase the JKU. My questions are these:

1. Considering that the JLUs will be heading to the market soon-ish', how much do you think its arrival will affect demand for new and slightly used JKUs that are sitting on car lots?
2. Assuming demand drops for JKUs when the JLUs hit the market, when do you think the best deals on new and slightly used JKUs will happen?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally I would wait until the next model year of the JLU so they can work the bugs out. If you want to purchase a used JKU I would look at the 2016/17 model year because those will have all the latest gadgets and goodies on them and if you can find a lease return that would perfect since most who lease them do not take them offroad.

As for your JK I would highly recommend trying to sell it before trading it in because you will get more for it. When trading in a vehicle you will get fair auction value which is drastically less than NADA or KBB.

R/
Will
Old 06-21-2017, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I'm not in the market myself, but the question you've posed has been the one I am most curious about. Will people see the JL hit the lot and be disappointed, and snatch up the remaining JKs, or will the last few JKs flounder as the JLs start flying off the lot. If you for sure are going for a new JKU, I almost think the best time would be just ahead of when the JLs are going to hit the lot. My thinking is people will most likely be holding out to finally see/touch the JL, and the JKs might be harder to move off the lot waiting for the unknown. the closer it gets, the more people might be willing to hold off on a new purchase since it's not THAT much longer to see the JL. Once people can compare them side by side on the lot, it could go either way. I am basing that off nothing except my good looks though.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to buy

Now a days, the manufacturers control their inventory production. Even though the old and the new will be produced for a while at the same time, there will be less of the old being produced than the new one. The selection of JKs and JKUs will be limited. So you may have to settle on a vehicle of the old style to supposedly get a deal. The thing to do is determine which model year you want and go for it.
As far as your current Jeep is concerned, in most states the tax credit value would be added in to your trade value. So, if you decide to sell privately, make sure that for what you sell it for meets or exceeds that value. If it is less, then trade it and walk away from it cleanly.
As far as first year bugs in a new model are concerned, that is true. They will come with plenty of them. Jeep does not have an exterminator to get rid of the bugs. Even 2017 JKs and JKUs are still being built with bugs. That's after 10 years or so of production. The mindset here is that Jeep knowingly will continue to produce them that way because the majority of Wrangler owners continue to accept it that way.
All of this is just my five cents on the subject. Thanx for reading.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The JL is not going to be the ground breaking change like the JK was to the TJ. Size is roughly the same and most people won't know there is actually a new model out. Price and powertrain is going to be the big driver of sales. If there is a big price increase it will hurt sales as these things have got very expensive for what you actually get. The wrangler historically was the budget model now it is pushing into the Grand Cherokee territory. I hope they can get back to their roots and offer a stripped down model with a big power plant. I know this won't happen but wold be a hit.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I hope they can get back to their roots and offer a stripped down model with a big power plant. I know this won't happen but wold be a hit.
Boy, that would be super cool. Something with front/rear lockers, D60s, no automatic climate control, marine grade stereo, hemi.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would rather just have it with standard axles as big rubber is going to need wider axles. Strip it down, no carpet, waterproof am/fm with bluetooth. No other electronics. Hell make the top optional. Just give us some real power and the rubicon transfer case.

Quick Reply: When to buy?