Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

When will jeep release a 4 door ute

Old 07-18-2014, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When will jeep release a 4 door ute

Hen will jeep release a 4 door tray back wrangler,
AEV have had them out as a custom truck for years and they look great but why won't jeep release a factory product built on a rubicon base with a Diesel engine?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The lack of a diesel in any JK model is a mystery to me. I know there's been red tape, but diesels are being sold in cars and trucks in the US. Someone who's deeply entrenched in the debate, feel free to chime in...

If I had to guess about the 'ute' model- 4 door with a small truck bed, those never sold really well as a model. Look at the Hummer H3T, the Subaru Outback Baja, the Ford Sport Explorer Sport Trac. They appealed to enthusiasts but were never seriously hot sellers. I think Jeep would be looking to its existing customer base to buy that type of vehicle. If you look to the small/midsize truck market, the pulse is pretty weak there, too, so I don't think Jeep would be winning the hearts of people in that market by proxy. The Colorado, Dakota, Ranger (and next up: Frontier, bye bye!) have all been axed. There's still some demand, but if I had to guess, people in that market are looking for an actual truck with a usable bed. GM seems to think so, and the Colorado is being reborn soon...

SO, short answer, Jeep I don't think Jeep needs to build it, and it leaves a nice little corner for companies like AEV to do one-off conversions for absurd amounts of money.

But, they could, and people like you and I would probably run down and buy one
Old 07-18-2014, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They sell every Jeep they make. They have no reason to offer it in a different platform. Would it be nice? Hell yea!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Nissn frontier is not going anywhere. This year or next the 4th generation will be released with a diesel.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

If a diesel never happens, how about a damn V8 option for Christ sakes!

'14 jku....work in progress.....
Old 07-19-2014, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Diesel will happen! 3.0 crd give it time. Diesels are were its at it took a while for tdi to get to the states as well. Test them in Europe I don't mind.banks is working on a 3.0 to swap in a jk was at sema this year.

Sent from my fish finder using JK-Forum
Old 07-20-2014, 03:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Pthorpe84
If a diesel never happens, how about a damn V8 option for Christ sakes!

drop a hellcat 6.4 liter hemi in it. theres your v8 cupcake!
Old 07-20-2014, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rifle jk
Diesel will happen! 3.0 crd give it time. Diesels are were its at it took a while for tdi to get to the states as well. Test them in Europe I don't mind.banks is working on a 3.0 to swap in a jk was at sema this year.

Sent from my fish finder using JK-Forum
i have 2 huge issues with diesel where i live, first: its insufferable when it gets cold, and it gets cold enough here that you have to run them 24 7 or you risk the anti gelling agent seperating from the fuel and freezing up solid in the lines. and second: diesel costs almost twice as much as gas.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
i have 2 huge issues with diesel where i live, first: its insufferable when it gets cold, and it gets cold enough here that you have to run them 24 7 or you risk the anti gelling agent seperating from the fuel and freezing up solid in the lines. and second: diesel costs almost twice as much as gas.
Here the diesel is cheaper than gas... But to avoid freezing, ad a gallon of kerosine. Not a problem fore the common rail diesel.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
drop a hellcat 6.4 liter hemi in it. theres your v8 cupcake!
The hellcat is a 6.2 liter. The 5.7's and 6.4's perform much better than the 6.2 for our application.

Quick Reply: When will jeep release a 4 door ute