Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Where can I get these.laminated side protectors?

Old 08-29-2017, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I get these.laminated side protectors?

I saw a Jeep up in CO that had these side panel stick on panel protectors, I didn't get a picture but there were 6 different pieces, one for the front quarter panel, one for the door, and one for the rear quarter panel. They were stick on plastic laminate. I have so many brush stripes on the side of my Jeep that it looks ten years old! These would cover those scratches and protect your panels. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old 08-29-2017, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

are these what you are talking about? [h=1]Smittybilt Mag-Armor Magnetic Trail Skins - 76992[/h]https://www.4wheelparts.com/Armor-Pr...&t_pn=S/B76992

Last edited by Arson; 08-29-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

No idea what you are talking about. However, another thing to consider is having your Jeep wrapped in vinyl. I saw one in my area wrapped in vinyl that looked like carbon fiber. It was very cool looking.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arson
are these what you are talking about? Smittybilt Mag-Armor Magnetic Trail Skins - 76992

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Armor-Pr...&t_pn=S/B76992
Yes that's them thanks. They would be a little pricey by the time I paid a car graphics shop to put then on but might be worth it. My Jeep is black so I think it will look fine.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

peel em off and you'll have a nice clear shape of the magnets outlined with scratches all around em...hee hee hee. Black is definitely hard to keep looking nice if you like to use the jeep as you do. My jeep is dirty most of the time.....which helps cover up some of the scratches that bug me. LOL. I do my best to buff everything out once a year or so.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I use them all the time when overlanding. They are magnetic and just peel on or off and store under the couch at home. Great for minimizing our "NW Pinstripes". We bought one set to use as templates then got a big roll of magnet sheet and cut out about 6 pairs for our club.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-02 09.59.33.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	674534
Old 08-31-2017, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, I didn't look close enough, I see now that they are magnetic. That's even better. I even have scratches on my hood. I've barely had this thing two years and it's scratched from front to back. Even my soft top windows are scratched.

Has anybody used that wax type rub on scratch remover like you can get at Auto Zone? It looks too good to be true on their tv ad but I might give that a try.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MikeOK
Oh, I didn't look close enough, I see now that they are magnetic. That's even better. I even have scratches on my hood. I've barely had this thing two years and it's scratched from front to back. Even my soft top windows are scratched.

Has anybody used that wax type rub on scratch remover like you can get at Auto Zone? It looks too good to be true on their tv ad but I might give that a try.
Long time ago when I had a couple BMWs, and I was more into keeping things detailed, I bought a Porter Cable 7424 rotary buffer -

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-.../dp/B002654I46

That thing along with some Meguair's pads and product will get most things out. I have excellent luck with the Meguiars DACP which is a cleaner and polisher, followed by 4star Ultimate Paint Protection which is a synthetic sealant that leaves the finish silky smooth. Every now and then I'll have to use a heavy cut polish to get something more stubborn instead of the DACP. None of the stuff is super cheap, but I'm still using the tool and product I bought ages ago.....and I can't count how many cars I've done on top of a 35' motorhome a couple times.

Scratches are sometimes the cost of fun. Just a sign that you get off the pavement is all.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went ahead and sprung for them. Dang I had to pay $17 for Oklahoma tax. Oh well, I think they will pay off.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Not to hijack the thread, but you seeing a run on gas stations in Oklahoma? Dang DFW area is running dry. Lots of stations out of gas completely, and prices are rising fast! This situation could get really interesting.

Quick Reply: Where can I get these.laminated side protectors?