Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

White tire letter removal...???

Old 07-29-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White tire letter removal...???

Is there an easy way to remove the white letter paint on tires?

I think I heard about a way once, but can't remember now.

Thanks.....
Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I googled it and found some tire markers. They look like crayola crayons but are more permanent.

Last edited by JKid; 07-30-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Reverse your tires, there shouldn't be letters on both sides. It might cost you $50.00 and save you a lot of trouble
Old 07-30-2008, 02:30 AM
JK Jedi

The white is not paint, it is actually part of the tire. You should just reverse them, or you could try the cover-up route but I don't have any experience with the effectiveness of that.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Seriously, I took a large SHARPE marker to mine and it's holding. The white area is very porous so it absorbs anything you put on it. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked for me.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Default Let the wife drive it?

I knew a guy who let his wife drive his rig and a few curbs later the white was gone.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
The white is not paint, it is actually part of the tire. You should just reverse them, or you could try the cover-up route but I don't have any experience with the effectiveness of that.

X2

Just have them put on the other way. There isn't white on the other side.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

As a kid I used to work at a car dealership during summers. One summer happened to be when all of the new car spare tires showed up from the 1970's rubber / tire shortage. I mounted over 300 spare tires along with the usual requests.
On request was to black out the white lettering. They had a black tire "polish" or paste you just applied to the letters only. My guess, you could probably find this at an autoparts store. However, once finished, you would have a considerable amount left over. Do as others suggest and reverse the tires. Or, I like the Sharpie suggestion
Old 07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah a black Magic Marker will black them out, go over them several times, they will get blacker as the ink soaks deeper.....
Old 07-30-2008, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whatroads
As a kid I used to work at a car dealership during summers. One summer happened to be when all of the new car spare tires showed up from the 1970's rubber / tire shortage. I mounted over 300 spare tires along with the usual requests.
On request was to black out the white lettering. They had a black tire "polish" or paste you just applied to the letters only. My guess, you could probably find this at an autoparts store. However, once finished, you would have a considerable amount left over. Do as others suggest and reverse the tires. Or, I like the Sharpie suggestion
Yes it came in a small can and was called " TIRE BLACK" it was very permanent. I think it was made by Dupont, might not be available any more, as white walls are FINALLY starting going away.

Quick Reply: White tire letter removal...???