Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

White tire letter removal...???

Old 07-30-2008, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not cool to have the white showing, but wouldn't it be nice not to have clowns walking up and asking "what kind of tires are those?"
Old 07-30-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whatroads
As a kid I used to work at a car dealership during summers. One summer happened to be when all of the new car spare tires showed up from the 1970's rubber / tire shortage. I mounted over 300 spare tires along with the usual requests.
On request was to black out the white lettering. They had a black tire "polish" or paste you just applied to the letters only. My guess, you could probably find this at an autoparts store. However, once finished, you would have a considerable amount left over. Do as others suggest and reverse the tires. Or, I like the Sharpie suggestion

You just pay it forward to the next guy who didn't want to reverse their tires.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by CAOKKIE
I knew a guy who let his wife drive his rig and a few curbs later the white was gone.
Now that was a good one......I got a good laugh...!!!

Yeah.....I actually do like some of white letters that some tire manufactures make, but mine just makes it look too busy with the wheels I have. And yes, I'm not dumb enough not to know that I can just pay the bucks and have them reversed. BUT, I also know, that not too long ago, there were some tires that you could not do that after driving them one direction. This may only apply to "directional" tires, but they could actually come apart if you were to reverse them. I was going to email Bridgestone just to make sure that it would be ok to reverse these tires. I'm sure it would be, but really don't want to take the chance.
Hey...thanks for all the input. I just may try the "sharpie" trick myself.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:34 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to have them reverse my tires when i had them put on, it didnt happen, so the white is out.
In retrospect, i am glad it turned out that way because on the side that doesnt have the white letters, where the name is the rubber has a LOT of corrugations in the ring around the tire where the letters are, it is a bitch to get that clean, i tried, once. Wont do it again. If i had that on the outside, I'd pay the 50 bucks to have it put back in. So, just a heads up, you may want to check that on yours. (I have Cooper STT's)
Old 07-31-2008, 02:47 AM
JK Freak

I worked for a summer at a tire place, and there was a guy who wanted black lettered tires. But he requested that we leave the white lettering on the outside so he could spray paint it black... instead of just flipping the tire.

Ehhh
Old 07-31-2008, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAOKKIE
I knew a guy who let his wife drive his rig and a few curbs later the white was gone.
This just results in a broad white stripe around the tyre where it rubs on the curb. Sure sign of a mall cruiser/ grocery getter/ soccer mom vehicle around here.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:47 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by WranglerDan
This just results in a broad white stripe around the tyre where it rubs on the curb. Sure sign of a mall cruiser/ grocery getter/ soccer mom vehicle around here.

QFT!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

QFT...WTF?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WranglerDan
QFT...WTF?
urbandictionary.com states qft stands for
QUOTED FOR TRUTH

Used on internet forums when quoting someone with similar views as yours.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Now that was a good one......I got a good laugh...!!!

Yeah.....I actually do like some of white letters that some tire manufactures make, but mine just makes it look too busy with the wheels I have. And yes, I'm not dumb enough not to know that I can just pay the bucks and have them reversed. BUT, I also know, that not too long ago, there were some tires that you could not do that after driving them one direction. This may only apply to "directional" tires, but they could actually come apart if you were to reverse them. I was going to email Bridgestone just to make sure that it would be ok to reverse these tires. I'm sure it would be, but really don't want to take the chance.
Hey...thanks for all the input. I just may try the "sharpie" trick myself.
Actually you can turn them around and switch them to opposite sides of the jeep, the direction of rotation will remain the same....

Quick Reply: White tire letter removal...???