Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why the 2 door?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My choice was simple - I just liked the look of 2 doors better. It is the iconic Wrangler look to me. While the 4 doors seem every bit as capable it just wasn't for me even though the extra room isn't a bad thing, especially since I'm a gigging drummer. I can JUST fit my kit into the Jeep as long as I play a bit of Tetris to do it.

I've seen 4 doors make it up rocks that gave me a tougher time while right after I go through tighter spots on trails with a lot more ease. They both have their advantages. But, being single, and not planning on having kids the 2 door was a no brainer.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Hi,
While I personally prefer the look of the 2 door, I had to get the 4 door b/c I have twin 4 yr old boys, 2 dogs, and my wife. So far I've gone everywhere my 2 door buddies have gone, and done it with at least 3 grinning faces along for the ride. I even loaded it with my kids, mom and dad, my jack russells and my folks Labrador in the back. We then went on a 100 mile trail ride and they all loved it. My mom even said "who needs an amusement park when you have this!" anyway, the 4 door is useful and can bring lots of friends along for the Wrangler experience. But yeah, it's big and a little clunky looking but I have grown to love it. Later!
Old 10-28-2010, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same for me as most here I guess. The 2 door has a look that seems 'right' to me. So overall it's aesthetics. Just the wife and I so the need for storage/hauling is fine with the seat flipped up (or out).

I love the tight turning radius of the 2 door too. I love seeing an open parking spot on the other side of the street and being able to make a quick u-turn without having to make it a 3 point turn.

Lower costs on the 2-door helps me a lot too.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2 door because it reminds me of the old days with the CJ 7 I used to have. I love the way they feel when making a sharp turn on the trail or even a u-turn.
But they have made the rear seat unuseable. With the old ones the seat would flip up so you had room to get into the rear seat. So if you actually want to use the rear seat you have to have a foor door unless it is only for kids. I removed my rear seat for good after seeing and hearing about how hard it was to get into and out of. So I now have just a two seater and that is the way it will stay. I usually am alone on most of the hard trails anyway. I won't get rid of my 2 door, but I am going to get a 4 door after it is paid off. There are times when I need to have room for more people and I don't want to get a car
Old 10-28-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

classic look. not the hummer look of the 4 dr's.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I prefer the look of the 2 doors for the reasons everyone has stated above. The reason Jeep came out with the four door was to compete with the 4 door SUV's. They wanted a slice of the family pie. No offense to the young guys who have 4 doors but IMO Jeep made it to accomodate the family with kids that wanted a Jeep.

I like the look of a 4 door that has a minimum 4 inch lift with 37's. Looks good, just not my style. I have dogs so they fit in the back nicely without the seat.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Incognito
Getting a two door was a no brainer for me; didn't give it a second thought. When it was time to get a new vehicle (giving the old one to my 16 year old), I either wanted a Mini Cooper or a Subaru WRX (both in coupe). After much consideration I opted for the Jeep, and I'm very satisfied with that decision. Even though I have three kids & a wife, 95% of the time I'm the sole occupant in the Jeep. My back seat sits in a corner of the house most all of the time.

As stated above, the two door is more traditional, lighter in weight, shorter wheel base, more maneuverable, and more attractive (imo). I'm not saying either is better than the other as obviously each has its own +/-. To me, I guess interior room was not a big deciding factor. Compared to my last car, a '95 Subaru Impreza with 160K miles on it, the Jeep has ample space and rides like a Cadillac, lol.
I could have written this post except it was the Mini Clubman and the Impreza Hatch I was considering and my 16 year old now drives the Focus ZX5. I only have two kids.

I like the two door better due to it's tradition and manueverability. I like it a lot better with the doors off than the four door. Another good feature of the two door over the four door was it was a lot cheaper.

The down side is that we have taken some family trips in the Taurus X instead of the Jeep because the Taurus X has more room and it is "more comfortable" according to my wife (not according to the driver, though). Sometimes I wonder if we would take the Jeep if I had the four door and I usually conclude probably not.

My wife would also prefer that it was an automatic so she could drive it if she had to, not that she ever would. My son did have to drive it for a while after I dislocated my shoulder but that was good experience for him. I probably wouldn't have gotten it back if it was an automatic.

Edit:

I have now traded the 2 door in for a 4 door. We have made plans to go to Silver Lake this summer. We are taking the Jeep more now that it has 4 doors. I am loving the 4 door so far. We will have to see how it goes when I switch to the softtop and start putting the top down this summer.

Last edited by bstpierre; 03-31-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned both.. first I had 4 TJs.. then 2 of the 4 door JK's.. and now a 2 door JK..

I liked the 4 door JK's they were nice ,had plenty of room to stow things and carry people, and were definitely more comfortable to drive than any of my TJs were...

however i went back to a 2 door because I like the nimbleness of the shorter jeep.... easier to park, easier to see out of... less doors to hang up in the garage..

and as others have said being single i didnt need the added space of the 4 door...
the 2 door cost me a few thousand less than a 4 door with similar equipment.. my 2 door seems a bit peppier as well being lighter than the 4 door...

also i can flip the sunrider back easily sitting at a traffic light.. I couldnt do that on the 4 door quite as readily..

putting the top up seems a bit easier on the 2 door as well...

downsides are it is a little noisier on the highway..my guess is because directly behind me are plastic windows instead of rear doors....

there isnt as much room to carry stuff.. but thats what a truck is for...

-Christopher
Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the 4drs are badass. But so are the 2 drs. The next one we add (not replace) will probably be a 4dr for long trips back home with the dogs. As both my girlfriend and I play hockey, its hard to get 2 full bags in a 2dr with the back seat in. But, to solve that, we have a trailer! It's the best of both worlds (unless you're in the mtns).

Either way, both are awesome, but when Ineeded to buy mine, 2dr was the price point I could afford. But I want one of each eventually.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Let me add that I would have loved to replace my wife's Taurus X with a four door automatic when it came off lease but she really liked the Taurus (and the Freestyle before that) and it was a great deal to buy out the lease.

Thanks for starting this thread Red Wings, it is a lot if fun so far.

Quick Reply: Why the 2 door?