Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why all the autos?

Old 11-13-2011, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Automatics easily are easier on the drivetrain than a manual (get on a steep incline with both, fully stopped, then try to go uphill). There's a reason my F550 that pulls 35,000 pound loads is an automatic. Automatics did have the bad part about coasting (free wheeling) downhill, but the new AMG 5 speed automatic fixed that this year.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I was always tought that auto on a jeep was sacreligous! Lol.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Evo35
ChryslerChris hit it right on the head.

I drive 100 miles each day to work, in Washington, DC traffic

But at least it is in my Wrangler...
Yeeep! Auto here too, DD of 120 KMs each day for work. Originaly our Jeep when purchased new in 08 was for my wife who can't drive a 6 gear....I was shopping for my own Jeep...stick, but then out of know were she passed the Jeep onto me for my DD and she got something else to drive....I'm very happy with the auto, for the traffic reason....will be a hard call when I go to buy my next one
Old 11-13-2011, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

The truth is that they are getting harder to find. When I bought mine there was not one single manual transmission Jeep on the lot of probably 20 Wranglers. I was undecided between auto or manual though. I wanted manual for down hill and auto for rocks, that situation just made up my mind for me. I have no regrets with my automatic though, you can crawl as slow as you want and it doesn't stall the engine.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:17 AM
JK Super Freak

I agree, most of the so called disadvantages of manuals are because of driver error and inexperience
Old 11-13-2011, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why all the autos? Because I'm getting old, lazy, my knees hurt, traffic is a lot thicker and I find the auto works better offroad. No stalling, no burning clutch smell. Plus it's easier for my wife to drive.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TJM12
I don't mean to offend anyone of you highly outspoken individuals but.....spending time on this forum has made me notice the over abundance of automatics! I mean doesn't that go hand and hand with mall crawler and soccer mom? I have only, and would only buy manual jeeps. I just hope enough people still buy manuals so they don't get rid of the option, like so many auto makers have. It's really difficult to find a manual these days!
#1 Having an auto makes everything easier, especially playing in the mud! Thing I have to worry if I need to shift halfway through? :nope: no mud clutch for me! Haha

#2 Stoplights are annoying haha
Old 11-13-2011, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is all really just personal choice. They both have a list of advantages and disadvantages. I don't think one list outweighs the other with any level of significance. I drive 130miles a day round trip on my DD and I like having the manual because it keeps me occupied and moving. I too am dealing with I95 and DC traffic. I just like driving a manual and definitely like being in my jeep. I have friends that prefer to not deal with that. I also have an F350 7.3 diesel that I am very glad is an automatic. All personal choice.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

Well.....the wife's other marriage is her freaken work so I'm the one taking kids to school doctors you name it .

When I pull up to his school to pick my son up with all the soccer moms in their odyssey's and other mini vans and SUVs his friends and him love my 12 JKU. And the same with my 11 sport I traded to the 12.

I too said manual never and auto when I bought the 11 last year but again it's my dd.

The 2dr with kids was unbelievably a huge Pima so the JKU was a blessing. But then for the heck of it I test drive a JKU 12 auto after already ordering a manual.

It changed mind in 1 minute. I was on the phone changing my order and have never looked back. I do not miss my vibrating wiggle stick. It gave death wobble a new meaning. My manual stick would near wobble to death over every bump. The hill assist was a complete waste with the manual and I felt like the two were always fighting against each other. And if for some reason you opps and stalled. The freaken pos 3.8 would stumble around 3 to 4 hundred rpms for 5 seconds or more wondering if it would come back to life but it never did. You had to wait for that bs then the engine would die then you could restart. That was so f ing embarrassing with my manual Jk.

So yes I love my 12 auto.

And yeah oh if they wife is around and

needed too she can drive it now too
Old 11-13-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

When on rocks, work smarter not harder

Quick Reply: Why all the autos?