Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why all the autos?

Old 11-13-2011, 04:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really want the wife or girlfriend driving my jeep or anyone for that matter especially after putting in so much $$ and hard work in it! Plus, so what if it's a bit more work to drive it helps me pay more attention to driving which we all should do! Driving is dangerous!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM12
I don't really want the wife or girlfriend driving my jeep or anyone for that matter especially after putting in so much $$ and hard work in it! Plus, so what if it's a bit more work to drive it helps me pay more attention to driving which we all should do! Driving is dangerous!
"wife or girlfriend" Good job!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't mean to offend anyone of you highly outspoken individuals but.....spending time on this forum has made me notice the over abundance of automatics! I mean doesn't that go hand and hand with mall crawler and soccer mom? I have only, and would only buy manual jeeps. I just hope enough people still buy manuals so they don't get rid of the option, like so many auto makers have. It's really difficult to find a manual these days!
With any modern auto trans, you just have more options - you can manually change gears if desired, and still have the confidence and security of auto on heavy traffic.

Today's, even the most competitive sports cars have some kind of auto/robotized trans, there are no more reason to go with manual, other than keep simplicity to the transmission, even considering that the engines are a lot complex - that is case of the new phoenix v6.

Obs.: my wife can drive manual or racing vehicles better than a lot of guys out there...

Last edited by Zilon X; 11-13-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtrman33
"wife or girlfriend" Good job!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foxbody
Errrr, most competitive sports cars have autos? NHRA is the only one I can think of where they are dominant due to the speed of shifting on a built Powerglide or something. There is very little in common with an F1 or CART transmission and an automatic, the transmissions resemble more manuals but with an automatic control system. NASCAR uses manuals. WRC uses manuals.
Can you read?
WRC do not use manuals anymore - and I said "auto/robotized transmissions" - no manual clutch there.
Most of racing competitions today use auto/robotized transmissions, including F1.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Believe it or not, after 42 years of driving, this is my first automatic transmission!

(well, OK . . . I had a 1973 Ford Torino that got wrecked after six months)

I debated long and hard over which tranny to get with my first Jeep. I test drove both the 6-speed manual and the 5-speed auto . . . each . . . and twice over a 1 week period.

Both were equally as smooth (on-road, anyway), but I went with the auto after a few nights of tossing and turning over it. Autos have come a long, LONG way over the past few years, and get virtually the same mileage, so I don't see why you shouldn't get one!

And besides (as some other members pointed out), I'm getting older, and anything which makes my life simpler and easier is better! I tend to keep vehicles for a long time, and am trying to look ahead for times when it may not be so easy to manually shift gears, etc.

Also, if you live in NJ and have experienced some of our wonderful traffic jams, accidents, disasters, etc. etc. you will really appreciate an auto trans when you're stuck in traffic!

As far as "off-road" is concerned, I have only tried unpaved dirt roads so far, but it seems fine. Thanks to the JK-Forum though, I learned that you can lock the auto in first gear. That seems to negate any argument that autos aren't as good as manuals in off-road conditions.

I love my Jeep! . . . . I really do! . . .

I'm so glad I bought it, and I'm glad I'm here!

All best, Joe

Last edited by Jersey Joe; 11-13-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

i learned to drive in a manual, all my jeeps except this one have been manuals, but i gota say i love the auto in my jk!! I can drive either just as well as the other so i dont feel anyless of a real jeeper for having an auto..
Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

mine is auto can we say WIFE
2010 was a six spd she drove it once never again
picked her up a 2012 explorer on fri (traded an07 lincoln pu)
while there the dlr had to move a mustang ,asked his salesman to do it ,response was "i dont know how to drive a stick"
guess its just a sign of the times
brianj
Old 11-13-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't mean to offend anyone of you highly outspoken individuals but.....spending time on this forum has made me notice the over abundance of automatics! I mean doesn't that go hand and hand with mall crawler and soccer mom? I have only, and would only buy manual jeeps. I just hope enough people still buy manuals so they don't get rid of the option, like so many auto makers have. It's really difficult to find a manual these days!
Are you trying to justify your purchase? There are pros and cons to both types of transmissions. The neat dual-clutch automatics that were once for high-performance vehicles only are starting to trickle down to more affordable vehicles. I wouldn't be surprised if we see one of these in a Jeep at some point in time in the future. They have the advantages of both, and shift insanely quickly, with you controlling the shifts or when it's in an automatic-type mode.

Buying a manual because that's what you've always had, or because you've been conditioned to believe anyone with an automatic is a mall crawler or a soccer mom, is a silly line of reasoning. The vast majority of my vehicles have been standard transmission, and I thoroughly enjoy driving them. There's nothing quite like driving at the limit, entering a turn with heavy break pressure, heel-toe shifting (double clutching) with straight-cut gears, and doing it perfectly. I guess I could rant that most Jeep owners don't know how to heel-toe, but quite frankly, that would be as silly as ranting that you're seeing more automatics. Driving in a way that would require heel-toe in a Jeep would be a death sentence. If you love driving a stick, drive a stick! If you want to drive an automatic, drive an automatic. I hope both options stay available (and perhaps we get a dual-clutch style system, which I'd buy in a heartbeat). My point is simply that everyone has different needs, and different reasons for buying what they do, and neither you nor I are in a position to tell them they are incorrect.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

I am a proud owner of a manual jeep and I wouldnt have it any other way. Being able to pick exactly what gear I want when I want it and not having to worry about how hot my transmission is, is what I think are the best reasons to get a manual. I think most people get an auto becuase not that many people actually know how to drive a manual anymore. Sure some people can get to where they need to in a manual but they have very poor clutch control which is shown by them stalling.

Quick Reply: Why all the autos?