Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why Blame Jeep??

Old 09-17-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Blame Jeep??

Okay I know I'll be blasted by a couple of folks who want to blame other's for their actions but................

Why do so many folks herein want to blame Chrysler or Jeep for not covering under warranty accidental, bone headed, intentional or other damages to their vehicles casued by the driver? Hitting a rock with your transfer case causing damage or popping a tire on a trail is no different than backing into a fire hydrant and wanting the dealership to cover your accident.

YES these vehicles are trail rated. And if anything breaks under "normal use" it should be covered. But hitting rocks, road debris, water ingestion into an engine or crankase - IS NOT - a manufacturer defect. Just because we can break it doesn't mean there was culpability on the part of the manufacturer.

I love the information sharing that goes on here, but not the whining about "mommy I broke my toy, I want another one". Let's see how long it takes for some to make this a thread for everything that's wrong with their JK.

It's not just here. A buddy of mine who owns a Chevy dealership tells me stories of guys who watch the Silverado commercials where they drop a huge transformer or generator or two tons of rocks into the bed from 20 feet up - and yep they come in and want the dealership to fix their broken truck. C'mon let's be real.

Last edited by pastorsteve; 09-17-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
It's not just here. A buddy of mine who owns a Chevy dealership tells me stories of guys who watch the Silverado commercials where they drop a huge transformer or generator or two tons of rocks into the bed from 20 feet up - and yep they come in and want the dealership to fix their broken truck. C'mon let's be real.
If they don't want folks to do it... don't advertise it being done. That makes sense to me. Yes yes yes... i know there is that little white lettering against the white background that says "Dramatization" or something to that effect... but it doesn't matter.

Advertisers believe that a disclaimer can cure any and all misconceptions or false advertising... it can't.

but as for people breaking stuff due to their own misbehaviour and expecting the dealer to fix it... i agree with your point. People like that are the reason we all paid 22K+ for a vehicle that cost <10K (give or take a couple) to produce
Old 09-17-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

No arguements. And I know some people don't see the "do not attempt, professional driver, controlled conditions, closed track" during the commercial somewhere.

That's where personal responsability and common sense take over..... where it exists. And if you want to do it.......knock yourself out. I just don't think it's reasonable to expect someone else to clean you up (not you but the universal them) after driving through the 32" puddle at 20 mph.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Personal Responsibility

It's simply a matter of personal responsibility, and how that is becoming rarer and rarer these days.

On the other hand, Chrysler is pushing a lot of shoddy work, creating a consumer environment where people feel justified in whining about it.

----------------
Now playing: Type O Negative - September Sun
via FoxyTunes
Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
Okay I know I'll be blasted by a couple of folks who want to blame other's for their actions but................

Why do so many folks herein want to blame Chrysler or Jeep for not covering under warranty accidental, bone headed, intentional or other damages to their vehicles casued by the driver? Hitting a rock with your transfer case causing damage or popping a tire on a trail is no different than backing into a fire hydrant and wanting the dealership to cover your accident.

YES these vehicles are trail rated. And if anything breaks under "normal use" it should be covered. But hitting rocks, road debris, water ingestion into an engine or crankase - IS NOT - a manufacturer defect. Just because we can break it doesn't mean there was culpability on the part of the manufacturer.

I love the information sharing that goes on here, but not the whining about "mommy I broke my toy, I want another one". Let's see how long it takes for some to make this a thread for everything that's wrong with their JK.

I agree with you. I think a lot of people tend to forget common sense as soon as the get on the trail or when they watch commercials for that matter.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree 100 percent! A few of my friends are always saying "lets go mudding" and "lets cross that semi swallowing ditch" in YOUR Jeep. When I say no I want to keep my Jeep working and nice they say "but its a Jeep your supposed to rag it and do that stuff!". Those are the guys who kill their Jeep and then want Chrysler to fix it! I built mine for going anywhere.... but not anywhere stupid.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tackindy
I agree 100 percent! A few of my friends are always saying "lets go mudding" and "lets cross that semi swallowing ditch" in YOUR Jeep. When I say no I want to keep my Jeep working and nice they say "but its a Jeep your supposed to rag it and do that stuff!". Those are the guys who kill their Jeep and then want Chrysler to fix it! I built mine for going anywhere.... but not anywhere stupid.
Very well put!!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcblew
Personal responsibility. Come on the T.V. made me do it. Because of these same people we have all kinds of dumb warnings like a hair drier that says don't use in the shower, drain cleaner that says don't drink. Lets get rid of these dumb warnings and that will get rid of some of these dumb people
I wish we had a smiley face that did a standing ovation. So I guess you'll just have to accept this one

Hey the next time you see a warning on a push mower read it and it will say do not use to trim bushes or hedges now that is a dumb a$$.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

I haven't yet felt ashamed for backing out of a "path" out of my Jeep's best interest. It is the ones that feel they have something to prove that break their Jeeps, and demand that the dealership warranty the damages.
'
Old 09-17-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcblew
Personal responsibility. Come on the T.V. made me do it. Because of these same people we have all kinds of dumb warnings like a hair drier that says don't use in the shower, drain cleaner that says don't drink. Lets get rid of these dumb warnings and that will get rid of some of these dumb people
Awesome... I like how you think. I totally agree if we get rif of all those dumb warnings maybe we can thin out some of these dumba$$es that need those freakin warnings!

Quick Reply: Why Blame Jeep??