Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why Cb Radios??

Old 02-08-2007, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Cb Radios??

I was just wondering why so many Jeep owners are talking about CB mounts and antennas? I used to own a CB and loved it. However, with two way radios these days, why aren't you guys using them? Just curious. In addition, I am not bashing CB radios. I sincerely want to know!! Thanks! -pikejd
Old 02-08-2007, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

If your on a trail ride you need a CB radio to keep contact with all the other Jeeps,,, hand held walkie talkies are fine if everyone has them... but its usually not the case.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks! I was just curious!!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Do handehelds work with CBs?
Old 02-08-2007, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

I don't think so!!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about foam cups with a string on the end? Do those work out on the trails? Does verizon have them? Are there decent minutes plans out there? Do you have to sign on for 2 years to get a free cup and string?
Old 02-08-2007, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cesar
how about foam cups with a string on the end? Do those work out on the trails? Does verizon have them? Are there decent minutes plans out there? Do you have to sign on for 2 years to get a free cup and string?
With the two year plan you get upgraded to plastic cups.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

I'm actualy suprised on how many people still run CB's. when ever we would go wheeling there was always something wrong with someones CB so we started using hand helds. I know I take atleast 2 with me one for myself and one for someone else who may not have one.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

CB's are universal. If you get stuck, lots of people around you will have one. Hell, worse case scenario you can probably contact a trucker somewhere and have him call the police or something.

Also CB's broadcast way farther then handheld walkie talkies. If you need to radio for help 50 miles back to the main station @ whatever ORV place your at, your gonna want a CB. Also, I'm thinking CB's have MUCH better sound quality then walkie talkies do..

CB's are $40.. a good walkie talkie is probably $80-$100.

I'm assuming on most of these, as I've never personally used a CB.. but these are the obvious things that come to mind.

-Brandon
Old 02-08-2007, 09:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by astrogiblet
CB's are universal. If you get stuck, lots of people around you will have one. Hell, worse case scenario you can probably contact a trucker somewhere and have him call the police or something.
I think this is the best reason to have a CB. I used mine for help once when I ran out of gas in my Explorer-- a trucker came up and gave me a couple of gallons to get me to the closest town. It's true that you are much more likely to find help with a CB than with a 2-way. Eventually, I'll have one hooked up in the JK....

Quick Reply: Why Cb Radios??