Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why does Consumer Reports rank the Wrangler SO LOW????

Old 04-09-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanna start by saying I love my Jeep but let's face it DC kinda went cheapo with the quality of the JK. (in my opinion) they could have finished painting the roll bar, used a bigger gauge steel for the body and given the option for a bigger engine. Yes I know its a Jeep and I'll beat it up bit. But these are some of my least favorite things. As. For the consumer report I never listen to critics.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Consumer Reports.. Bah.

I wouldn't use their biased rag to light the Barbecue... It would leave a foul taste in the food.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 04-09-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spinlock
This is a perfect example of the old saying "consider the source".
can't agree more, there is nothing out there to compare a wrangler to, so they just lump it in with everything else which is only hiway capable. pity they don't get it, still rated #1 with me
Old 04-09-2010, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though I agree with most of what has been already stated I cant help but think the JK would have scored better had Chrysler given one to them for their "long term" test and donated a large some of money like, say, toyota.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

THANKS
Old 04-09-2010, 10:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's obvious- this rag has been bought body and soul by the Asian automakers. EXACTLY like the U.S. CONGRESS.....
Old 04-10-2010, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its just a question of expectations and demographics. As mentioned, they rate everything along the same lines, as the average CU reader needs to do research before buying a vacuum cleaner or a car, because THEY are clueless otherwise.

CU poses as an unbiased expert body of reviewers. I do think they are unbiased as far as motive, but, biased as far as viewpoint.

I do NOT think they are truly experts, because ANY review they do on something I DO know about, they are morons.

To use a vacuum cleaner review for example...they Tested the Vacuum Cleaner's Exhausts to determine if a HEPA Filtered Vacuum Cleaner's Exhaust was any Cleaner than a Non-HEPA, but "High Efficiency" Filtered Exhaust.

They used wood flour as the test dust, and vacuumed it up while using a particle counter to measure the dust in the exhaust.

They concluded that BOTH exhausts were nice and clean, and that a HEPA filter was a waste of money.

They did NOT mention that wood flour has an average size of ~ 200 um, about double the size of most pollen, and about a HUNDRED times larger than an average mold spore, etc.

Which means the idiots essentially tested to see if a screens mesh was a better filter than a chain link fence, and used basketballs to see if they were filtered out...

...and concluded that as no basketballs came out, the screen wasn't filtering out any more than a chain link fence.

Apply the same "Expertise" to the other reviews, and its similar results.

For CARS, well, Joe Consumer WOULDN'T like a Jeep's ride, or handling, or storage space, or gas mileage...and they do not have columns to rate ground clearance, articulation, etc....so, for the average Joe, the CU reports are not that far off in suitability.

Add in that we actually go off road, which increases the things that break and get knocked/fall off/soaked in bog water, etc....or replaced to upgrade them (Not a category either...), OUR reports look like the rigs are unreliable....we're always replacing parts.

If everyone were to start off roading in their Honda Accords, well, I think THEIR reliability rating would plunge too, etc.

SO - CU is for clueless Joe Consumer people....who need at least a starting point to decide what to buy.

Enthusiasts do not need a CU guide to what car parts mean, and what they do for you, we know....just like we know CU is not really set up to compare a Hummer to a FJ to a JK, except in ride, handling braking and storage room, mpg, etc....stuff we don't tend to get too concerned with....but which matter to a guy who will never leave the pavement, and is buying the rig to drive to work every day/pick the kids up from soccer.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

I think it is most interesting that despite the poor rating, the Wrangler keeps the highest resale value percentage on the market ofr the "SUV" class...that is unless get one that is only 2wd
Old 04-10-2010, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

i think the best answer to this is the most obvious.. "Its a jeep thing. They wouldnt understand!"
Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by racinfast002
there are two types of drivers....Jeep owners, and everyone else. That guy fell into the everyone else part
I agree with this one

Quick Reply: Why does Consumer Reports rank the Wrangler SO LOW????