Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why so many fake Rubicons?

Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by undert0e
This reminds me of a previous life when I scoured the Subaru boards. Folks would put STI badges on their WRX's. Fake it till you make it I guess
It's easy to spot the fake STIs because they don't usually ever spring for the brembo brakes.

Originally Posted by Chango
I don't think the extra price for admission is really worth what you get anymore. Except for the lockers, you just don't get as much from a rig with Rubicon stickers as you could have with a TJ.
So is this a rationale advocating the adding of stickers to non Rubis or against it?

Im trying to understand the point of the comment.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guardguy
Maybe I was looking in the wrong place then. I was looking at the swaybar links and they looked just like my X? So maybe they were Rubicons? No big deal to me either way, just trying to figure out if it was common or if I was missing something. I was starting to wonder if I was the only X in town.

Except the Limited. It was on custom 17 or 18 wheels with what must have been 35's that had maybe 2 inches from contacting the fenders. It was 2 wheel drive.
The easy way to tell is the front differental cover matches the back on a Rubicon, but is rounder on all the other models. Also it's easy to check for the two e-locker controls on the top of the pumpkin up front.

Looking inside the center panel (or left side on 11s and 12s) have the locker switch.

Wheels don't matter becuase I sold my rubicon wheels when I went bigger so someone is driving mine around on a non-rubicon.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by teamx
A stock 2012 Rubi is easy to tell just by looking at the red shocks on them... that is until you lift it and have to replace them...
until 12 the color matched Wranglers were on in the Sahara models but now you can get your Rubi color matched.
My 08 had the red shocks too! That's a good way to tell stock rubicons, but I also sold these to a non-rubicon owner. I guess they can be faked too...
Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mcgill2634
Couldn't agree more. A have a 2010 ruby with all the decals removed. I took mine off because ruby's are a dime a dozen and I wanted a clean look

This is atypical. Most people "debagde" jeeps becuase they bought stripped ones and are emberassed. Cool if you want to debadge. I keep my stickers on becuase I own what's left of a rubicon (the t-case and currently my e-swaybar) and I drive it on the Rubicon.

My axles were sold, so they aren't rubicon anymore.
My lockers went with my axles.
My e-swaybar is next if I could get a trade for dual rate, I'd do it in a second.
shocks, springs, sliders, etc are all gone too!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My poser...

masquerading as a Sahara...

Quick Reply: Why so many fake Rubicons?