Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why so pricey?

Old 02-15-2019, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by necros
I don't remember getting anything about a class action lawsuit for our Rengade, but it does have a transmission issue. Basically if I hit a tight corner too fast, the traction control light goes off and then it feels like it wants to stall, then the engine kicks back into gear a few seconds later. It's annoying, but I made a habit of just turning the stupid traction control off as soon as I do the parking break so I don't notice it anymore. One day when I'm in for service I'll try and remember to get the next software update too.

I was just a little pissy seeing the "low end" 2019 sport coming in at $36k just adding in automatic and a hard top. But yeah, looking at other brands all SUVs have cranked up prices. I guess it just is what it is. It's a conspiracy by the banks in bed with dealerships to get us to start leasing more, I tell ya.

Makes me wonder if we should look into something else like maybe a cherokee trailhawk? I like the newer look a lot better. Then I start thinking why not just spring for a lower end Grand Cherokee instead.

Spending my tax return already before I even have it.
We have that same problem when turning that you described with our Rene. Waiting to hear my wife's feedback if it's fixed or not with the latest s/w updates they threw at it. What I learned from the dealership when the vehicle is new and after they perform an update, afterwards the trans adapts to how you drive and makes adjustments. That learning process takes about 2 months. So the last time we brought it in, the update seemed to fix the trans problems but 2 months later the problem came back. So the problem seems to be within the transmissions learning and adapting to how you drive algorithm. They just need to turn that crap off, if you ask me because the only thing it seems to be learning is how to jerk the gears around.

I would avoid the Cherokee. The new Cherokee came out 2 years before the Renegade and that's where I initially read about a lot of others having the same trans shifting problems. I duped myself into believing it was fixed 3 years later when we purchased the Renegade and when I test drove the Rene, I made sure to pay particular focus on how the trans shifted. How was I to know that the problem starts to happen 3-4 months after? The Cherokee, Renegade, and Compass all use that same 9-Speed ZF auto trans. My mother just purchased a 2018 Compass...waiting to hear if she runs into the same trans shifting problem.

Here's the letter.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-15-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Each generation will get better. I’m happy with my paid off 08 that I bought new. It was great then and it’s even better now. I’d rather invest money. The latest anything is always interesting but Jeeps are great no matter the year.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The main problem is that they sell every freakin one of them. So they can.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutman
The main problem is that they sell every freakin one of them. So they can.

For now. They’re saturating the market. Look at what happened to Harley Davidson when they sold out to the masses. There are a lot of JL owners with buyer’s remorse from getting typical Chrysler quality at Mercedes pricing. The used market will be awesome when the fad ends.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Happy with my paid off '11. It isan't going anywhere but I would like to add a JL to the garage one day. But I don't know if that day will come...I'm with everyone on the high prices. I've looked at them in the real world on the dealer lots and what they want for "plain" sport models let alone Saharas and Rubis is out of this world. FCA is sticking it to everyone in the market for a Wrangler...and both parties are loving every minute of it. Otherwise they wouldn't be selling.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lowendrider
Happy with my paid off '11. It isan't going anywhere but I would like to add a JL to the garage one day. But I don't know if that day will come...I'm with everyone on the high prices. I've looked at them in the real world on the dealer lots and what they want for "plain" sport models let alone Saharas and Rubis is out of this world. FCA is sticking it to everyone in the market for a Wrangler...and both parties are loving every minute of it. Otherwise they wouldn't be selling.
I don't feel JL's are selling as well as expected. This is the 1st year where we can finally see a break down of sales numbers between the JL and JK since they coexisted in 2018 and FCA didn't break those numbers out separately. The messages I posted earlier seems to indicate the JL isn't doing as well as FCA had forecasted. Only time will tell at this point but since there seems to be a large quantity on the dealership lot inventory, that is currently our best indicator to go by.

With my wife not enjoying her Renegade purchase where I originally suggested to her she should get a JK instead, she is now considering trading in the Renegade and getting a JL. I've told her to hold off for now until we can better see where the price of the JL goes as well as gain some better insight of the reliability. No reason to jump out of one FCA troublesome vehicle into a potential other which is currently overly priced as well. I've also considered purchasing a JL but am going to continue to ride it out with my 2009 JKU for now. I can afford to purchase a JL and I want one but I don't like to make purchases where I feel I'm getting ripped off even if I can afford it, and that's where I feel FCA is at with these JL prices. Just like I could have afforded to purchase JW Speaker LED headlights when they were $800 for a set, and I'm sure they're great lights. Common sense just told me headlights, no matter how great they are and how much I wanted them were not worth $800 for something that cost $100 for the previous gen technology headlights....now we're currently seeing JW speaker LED headlights coming down in price once they realized they weren't selling as many lights as they could be due to the high prices.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-18-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been looking around at other options... I don't think I'd ever consider a range rover, but was just looking online and saw you can get a sahara for the same price. Never really been into wanting to drive a status symbol. Hopefully there will be some good deals this spring, and even though I hate haggling, my fiance doesn't and used to work in a dealership so she knows all the tricks, can usually get a good deal when I bring her along. Even though she hates it when I wave to other jeeps, she doesn't understand

Also looked online at the new honda passport, they seem nice. I liked the honda element I had before my wrangler, no issues at all with it. But I just personally like the jeep brand best. I don't ever drive off road at all unless someone tells me to park on their grass, but just something about a wrangler...
Old 02-21-2019, 11:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't settle, get the Wrangler...
Old 02-22-2019, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did a build out of boredom and curiosity. I own a '14 Sport S 2 door with no upgrades except the bluetooth/U connect package. 6 spd manual. Roll-up windows, no power anything. Soft top. I just built a '19 with the same options and it tallied up at about $7k more. Un-freakin-believable. I feel like FCA was so paranoid about tampering with the legacy that they kinda pussed out on the JL. All they did was up the ante on the computer-run shit and add 2-3 mpg? Sorry. I'm keeping my JK until I die. Buy a used stocker from a soccer mom who didn't realize what they were getting into and have your way with it.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cutman
I just did a build out of boredom and curiosity. I own a '14 Sport S 2 door with no upgrades except the bluetooth/U connect package. 6 spd manual. Roll-up windows, no power anything. Soft top. I just built a '19 with the same options and it tallied up at about $7k more. Un-freakin-believable. I feel like FCA was so paranoid about tampering with the legacy that they kinda pussed out on the JL. All they did was up the ante on the computer-run shit and add 2-3 mpg? Sorry. I'm keeping my JK until I die. Buy a used stocker from a soccer mom who didn't realize what they were getting into and have your way with it.
And the problem with that is that you're only looking at the price increase from 2014. As the article I linked stated they went up $3k per each model year. From my 2009 Sahara to a 2019 I'm seeing closer to a $15K+ increase.

Quick Reply: Why so pricey?