Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why a Stick Shift Matters ...

Old 03-31-2015, 05:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK505

Most of the Auto comments were most likely posted while they were driving... They do have an extra hand after all.

Fuel. Meet fire. lol
People who really know how to drive a manual can do the same while driving. I mean after all, it does take extreme skill apparantly to drive a manual it seems. At least I know I can. Lol.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this thread went a little sideways but I laugh when I read people arguing whose opinion is right or wrong. Here are some facts....correct me if I am wrong

1. Autos have full warranty and in some cases lifetime warranty vs. Manual doesn't include clutch

2. Auto has two foot pedals and we have two feet vs. Manual has three pedals....still have two feet

3. Auto has constant pressure to the wheels at lowest rpms vs. Manual will stall if let rpms too low and very dangerous to push in clutch on the wrong incline

4. Auto puts more power to the wheels.....I believe this to be a fact and have seen it on the forum before.....correct me if I am wrong

5. Auto can overheat in older models, trans cooler fixes problem

6. Manual has problems taking on water and mud and can ruin clutch(not covered under warranty)Live in Iowa, more mud then rocks

7. Manual pops out of gear.....hopefully doesn't happen at wrong time

8. Auto can be driven with one hand and one foot vs. Manual needs both feet and both hands....doesn't seem like an issue till you break one and have to leave Jeep parked for 8 weeks....8 weeks!!!

These are just some that I can think of off the top of my head. I would like to give you that manuals are more fun...I believe that to be true for some but that is just an opinion not a fact. I don't know about the whole balls thing.....If my balls were in a box I would probably be driving a minivan. I bought my Jeep based on what I wanted and one of the things I wanted was for my wife and kids to enjoy driving it also.

Last edited by 08REDROCKX; 03-31-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^FACT- Auto cost $1500 more^^^

(Or was this just a pro-auto fact list?)
Old 03-31-2015, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cutman
^^^FACT- Auto cost $1500 more^^^

(Or was this just a pro-auto fact list?)
Not intentionally......Add whatever facts you have including Pro Manual
Old 03-31-2015, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
I couldn’t care less about the pointless discussion of stick vs auto.
I referred to the attitude.

If you write in 'good fun', say it, or add a smiley or a wink.
The following doesn't show 'good fun':
Most guys who have automatics I find don't have balls. Well, they do, but they're kept in a little case tucked inside of their wife's purse, and they have to ask permission to take them out. Sad.
I mean, why spend an extra grand on an automatic when that could be mod money
?”
See post #214.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hard for me to write pro manual facts because I don't know them. Maybe if I did it would change my mind.....I will try and come up with a few

1. manual is less likely to be stolen (exclusive group with balls can only steal it)

2. Manual is easier to change fluid

3. Can push start.....
Old 03-31-2015, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 08REDROCKX
Hard for me to write pro manual facts because I don't know them. Maybe if I did it would change my mind.....I will try and come up with a few

1. manual is less likely to be stolen (exclusive group with balls can only steal it)

2. Manual is easier to change fluid

3. Can push start.....
I'm not flaming you. Was just trying to understand the angle. I don't have little dog syndrome if you don't like what I bought.

4. Being able to override the computer and stick the damn thing in any gear you choose is a plus.

5. Cost.

6. Makes driver think he has a bigger
D$CK on forums while arguing with strangers. (So say the other guys)
Old 03-31-2015, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

8. Auto can be driven with one hand and one foot vs. Manual needs both feet and both hands....doesn't seem like an issue till you break one and have to leave Jeep parked for 8 weeks....8 weeks!!!
Not completely true. I broke my ankle back when I was in school and I wad still able to drive my manual Ranger. It was difficult but managable. Lol stop lights where real fun.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

..... 4. Auto puts more power to the wheels.....I believe this to be a fact and have seen it on the forum before.....correct me if I am wrong
No more power can be applied to the wheels, than though a rigid connection all the way from the engine to the wheels -- which is the case of a manual trans'.

However, in some situations, more power can be applied by an auto -- when a manual would have stalled (or, the clutch is partly pressed, which causes wear).
Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
See post #214.

You clearly said that you meant it, at least partly:
"No, not serious. Not 100% anyway."
I don't fall for such twisting.

Quick Reply: Why a Stick Shift Matters ...