Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why a Stick Shift Matters ...

Old 04-01-2015, 09:52 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoysRig
pro... i wanted a factory remote start. not avail on manual. sure it can be installed on manual, but my driveway has a steep grade and the ebrake does not hold so i have to leave it in gear. In gear and remote start don't mix well.
whoomp there it is...
Old 04-01-2015, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Per Car and Driver,"Due to ever tightening emmission requirements and to the improved efficiancy of the 8 spd automatic transmission, the manual transmission gearboxs will be discontinued in 2017 for all Jeep product lines. The end of an era has come."
Old 04-01-2015, 10:32 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Earth Siege
Per Car and Driver,"Due to ever tightening emmission requirements and to the improved efficiancy of the 8 spd automatic transmission, the manual transmission gearboxs will be discontinued in 2017 for all Jeep product lines. The end of an era has come."
Thank the lord for manual motorcycles...
Old 04-01-2015, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice try......
Old 04-01-2015, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost got me
Old 04-01-2015, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like I just came up with a new small business idea. Manual trans conversion kits for the JL Wrangler.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
Looks like I just came up with a new small business idea. Manual trans conversion kits for the JL Wrangler.
u could sell that kit now.....there are plently of peeps that would like to remove the auto. Even more would like to install one behind the hemi!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine came stock with 3.21's. I didn't' consider the Rubicon's. My jeep was a dog with the stock 32's. I didn't have a 6th gear. Crawling was tough, even with my driving experience.

And yes, i'm sure your jeep has seen more rocks than mine. I've not had it quite a year yet. But don't fool yourself. You may live out west, but the Carolina's have plenty of challenging trails to offer. I would love to come your way some day, if for nothing else the scenery. I've flown over your area i'm sure, either on the way to the South Pacific or Middle East. Pretty interesting off road conditions over there too. Nothing like your home town though i'm sure.

Originally Posted by RoysRig
4.10 out the door with my ruby on 295/70/17. So that blows that theory out. And I assure you my Jeep has seen more rock crawling than your Jeep has in South Carolina.
Attachment 603534

Last edited by tarpon4me; 04-02-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the stick shift too! It seemed like and endless search trying to find my jku. I was completely blind to all of the auto regardless of any upgrades they might have already haf. But at last I was fortunate enough to find a 2010 jku Sahara with a freedom top in the color I wanted even. It was worth the search in the end. It does have the 3.8 but it is still a Wrangler!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150402_073745.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	604484
Old 04-02-2015, 08:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The torque converter multiplies the torque from the engine. It happens as a result of the fluid being routed through the stator.
It's not a case of getting something for nothing. The engine turns faster, with less turning of the wheels; just like with a change in gear ratio. As road speed increases, and the two halves of the torque converter approach equal speeds, the effect lessens until there is no multiplication of torque. Then, the torque converter locks up, providing the same solid coupling as the clutch in a manual transmission.
The factory service manual addresses this. There are plenty of tech sites out there that talk about it, too.

This all has to do with why it's called a torque converter, and not just a fluid coupling.
This intrigued me, so I studied the issue.

In one of the tutorial videos on torque converters, it was said that with the same engine, same gear ratio and same everything, an auto will accelerate faster than a manual, because of the torque converter.
That’s simply not true.
If it is true, let’s see an example of a car which accelerates faster with auto than with manual.

In fact, manual Jeeps accelerate faster, but that’s because they have more gears, so it’s not ‘apples to apples’.

I delved into the oil flow inside torque converters:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque Converter - parts.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	604501

The stator changes the oil flow direction, and makes it hit the (gearbox) turbine vanes at a more vertical angle. This makes the gearbox reach the engine rpm (or near it) much faster than a gearbox without a torque converter.

If the stator made the turbine rotate slower than the engine rpm (at maximum rpm), there would have been true torque gain at the wheels. It doesn’t do that. The stator rotates at the engine rpm, and makes the turbine reach the engine rpm.
It does not change gear ratio at the wheels, therefore it cannot increase acceleration vs manual.

The x1.2 to x3 toque increase of torque converters, regards increased acceleration vs a gearbox without a torque converter.
It does not regard torque increase at the wheels (like higher gear ratio would do).

The max torque transfer to the wheels is when the clutch (in the torque converter) is engaged, and this happens only when cruising in high gear and a light foot on the gas pedal. When the gas pedal is pressed harder, the clutch is disengaged and the gearbox may shift down.
Except for when the clutch is engaged, there’s a bit of loss of torque transfer to the wheels, vs a manual.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-02-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Why a Stick Shift Matters ...