Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

why use nitrogen

Old 07-24-2008, 12:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default why use nitrogen

why use nitrogen in your tires i have herd that it improves gas milage what are the other advantages
Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a more stable gas that is non degrading, does not react to temperature changes as much as regular air, much drier so no moister. Any inert gas in place of regular air is just about always good...unless your scuba diving.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was overseas (Afghanistan), our LAV III's used nitrogen shocks, and we where always having to refill them as they would stop supporting the weight. The mech's said it was because of the altitude we where at...any truth? What they said makes me want to stay away from them as I live near the rockies, and frequently drive there..
Old 07-24-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMP8562
why use nitrogen in your tires i have herd that it improves gas milage what are the other advantages
I agree with the statment in your question....Why use it?
  1. Co2 is safer to store
  2. You can store more Co2 in a 20lb than nitorgen in a 20lb tank b/c CO2 is a liquid and Nitrogen is a gas.
  3. easier to find Co2 re-fil locations
  4. Co2 can run power tools

Last edited by brent_f70; 07-24-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by brent_f70
I agree with the statment in your question....Why use it?
  1. Co2 is safer to store
  2. You can store more Co2 in a 20lb than nitorgen in a 20lb tank b/c CO2 is a gas and Nitrogen is a liquid.
  3. easier to find Co2 re-fil locations
  4. Co2 can run power tools

I think you meant Co2 is a liquId and N2 is a gas........

Last edited by BaltChief; 07-24-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Alrighty let me take the dead horse for a spin too. The only measurable difference between compressed air & nitrogen in the jeep tire environment is cost. If one was to believe the big nitrogen molecule theory, logic dictates by the third time you air up your tires you would be running something like 95% nitrogen. If running helium was the norm, maybe you could measure a noticable difference in perm rate using nitrogen. Even if you run nitrogen you still have regular old tap water air in your tires too. Unless tire shops start pulling a vacum on tires prior to filling them, you will still have the volume of a mounted tire's worth of air inside. And are they really touting the inert gas angle? Are we building halogen light bulbs? We are talking tires folks. This isn't rocket science. The moral of this story is- use a tire guage frequently & enjoy real benefits of consistant pressure in your tires. Oh yeah I vote for co2 too. (for it's storage cap. not because of any water vapor concerns.)
Old 07-24-2008, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
Alrighty let me take the dead horse for a spin too. The only measurable difference between compressed air & nitrogen in the jeep tire environment is cost. If one was to believe the big nitrogen molecule theory, logic dictates by the third time you air up your tires you would be running something like 95% nitrogen. If running helium was the norm, maybe you could measure a noticable difference in perm rate using nitrogen. Even if you run nitrogen you still have regular old tap water air in your tires too. Unless tire shops start pulling a vacum on tires prior to filling them, you will still have the volume of a mounted tire's worth of air inside. And are they really touting the inert gas angle? Are we building halogen light bulbs? We are talking tires folks. This isn't rocket science. The moral of this story is- use a tire guage frequently & enjoy real benefits of consistant pressure in your tires. Oh yeah I vote for co2 too. (for it's storage cap. not because of any water vapor concerns.)

I completely agree. In the south, we call this discussion, "pickin' the fly sh#@ out of the pepper".

Here's a good read" http://www.straightdope.com/columns/070216.html
Old 07-24-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

And this is related to "Write-Ups" how?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default Nitrigen = no problems with TPMS

Nitrogen doesn't hold moister like compressed air. With the constant change in temperature in your tires you get condensation which will cause corrosion in your TPMS. Plain and simple all cars running TPMS will have there tires inflated with nitrogen.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Chevy was using TPMS for about 20 years before the whole nitrogen thing became popular, without any problems. There are minor benefits, but it is mostly an easy low cost way for tire companys to make extra money.

Quick Reply: why use nitrogen