Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why warn winch is much more expensive than Smitybilt winch

Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash1034
The Warn is made in the USA and is a FAR superior product. Now, if you use your winch once in a blue moon, get the cheap one. Buy a Warn 8274-50 and never buy another winch again.

Flash
do you have some data/report/review to backup this?

I respect the quality of American Product. But for specific product, such as this winch, I can
not just say "because it is made in USA it means high quality"

I need some unbiased specs to compare to make the decision.

THanks
Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
China vs America
Why do the new Warn winches have "Made in China" on them if they are made in the USA? Do you mean designed in America? Are some Warn winches made in the USA and other models not? I'm confused
Old 11-17-2010, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbloyer81
You can't put two and two together? Warn makes the best winch. Period. Yes, shittybuilt wasn't tested, but the idea was proven. Warn does winches and they do them well. Reliability. When you're stuck in the middle of no where in bad weather you are relying on that winch. I rely on Warn.
Please relax. I just want to get most out of my money and I want some solid data to back my decision.

My current choice list are warn and smittybilt. And I would like see an article/report/spec comparing these two.

Your article by far is the most informative one I got, thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Warn is still made in the usa except for the warn tabor and the controller for the winches. They have a factory in Oregon
Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Default My 2 cents

This is kinda funny to read this thread. Personally, I worked in marketing for Ramsey winch made in good old Tulsa, OK of the good old U S of A. Our main competitor was Warn. I have a smittybilt 10k comp with synthetic line. I think Smittybilt is a WONDERFUL product. After working in the industry, I chose Smitty. Why? When it comes to repairs and service (if ever) they are ALL equal in a way. Never seen a Smitty, Warn, Ramsey, or even Mile Marker not last awhile unless you dont know how to use/take care of mechanical equipment. Now on repairs or maintenance, I have seen Warn have a disadvantage with spooling from the remote wireless or wired several times. I have seen several times it was not syncing and spooling correctly from the remote and with major wear and tear over time. Not to say the others dont either, but Warn is not to be put on the gold medal of the olympic games! Its a winch just like the other players. So pick what you think is the best and your price you want to waste. I chose Smitty because all in all it gets me out and its inexpensive to fix/buy/rebuild. Just dont buy any other winches that are NOT from Smitty, Warn, Ramsey, Superwinch, Mile Marker and you will be fine. The Cheap CHEAP CHEEEEAPPPPP china winches on ebay are TOTAL crap. They will break down and there is no service to help you. So what do you want to pay for a great 10k winch $500 or $1500 from the above mentioned to get you out of your mess is on you?

This is my personal opinion from knowing winches on a daily bases and take my opinion for what its worth. Hope I helped save some hard earned cash.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash1034
The Warn is made in the USA and is a FAR superior product. ...
Originally Posted by wolfmanii
do you have some data/report/review to backup this?
Not that I can cite a specific comparison report, but having hung around this forum for a while, I can assure you that there is a reason that Smittybilt has acquired a less than flattering name having to do with excrement. Now, that's not specifically about their winches, but most of their other products have problems with holes lining up, durability, paint quality, etc. Just read the literally dozens of other threads about Smittybilt complaints.

In comparison, while there have been a couple very rare (count them on one hand in four years) mentions of problems with Warn winches, in each and every instance Warn provided the repair parts ASAP at no charge--one time even when the buyer informed them he had picked it up second hand and didn't know when it was manufactured.

Now, the question is, what reputation do you want the company you trust with your rescue to have? My money is on Warn. Besides, I consider it patriotic in act (not just in typical right-wing rhetoric) to buy American.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Amen

[QUOTE=Besides, I consider it patriotic in act (not just in typical right-wing rhetoric) to buy American.[/QUOTE]

Agreed!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:59 AM
JK Newbie

I think defeating China economically is a better option. ...and I for one don't care a bit for a global econonmy, leadership or anything else that has global in it.

But then again, I just a hate-filled right-wing rascist crackpot.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by tangomike3
... But then again, I just a hate-filled right-wing rascist crackpot.
If you're alluding to my remark, let me clarify (because I certainly didn't intend to call anyone "hate-filled" or "racist"): The right is quick to call for "support our troops", after all these are the folks who protect what we have built in this country, aren't they? I wish that the right was as quick to support those who actually built this country: The American worker (many of them union workers).
Old 11-18-2010, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Titan winch. Great product and even better customer service.

Quick Reply: Why warn winch is much more expensive than Smitybilt winch