Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why warn winch is much more expensive than Smitybilt winch

Old 11-19-2010, 01:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by stick1001
... the guy who owns the shop I get all my work done advised me that the powerplant is having some issues ...
Prove it. Otherwise, I've got to call BS on that. You might trust the guy, but I have no reason to. And there are hundreds of people on this forum, including myself, who have been running the PowerPlant as long as the JKs have been around without issues, or with minor issues that were fixed very quickly at no cost to them (a fact I already mentioned earlier in this thread).

Originally Posted by tangomike3
... Why would you think that the right doesn't support the American Worker? Unions have become something that is un-American.
Maybe because they say stuff like "unions have become something that is un-American."

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 11-19-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason warn is more expensive than Smittybuilt is that smittybuilt is probably constructed deep in a factory in china using child labor and all sorts of practices that would make us cringe if we had to actually see it. Warn is made my the american worker who is treated with respect and earns a decent wage.

Now that being said I own a smittybuilt and have had ZERO problems with it. It is a great winch for the money. I wish I could afford to support american workers but I simply cannot. Too much of my paycheck goes to the federal govt in taxes for me to buy a warn.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper

Too much of my paycheck goes to the federal govt in taxes
Exactly.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

ive had the smitty for about a year. no problems w/ it. i had a couple questions when i was installing it(i lost the directions)and they were more than helpful.

ive had no experience w/ warn so i cant compare.

from some of the people i had talked to before getting it i was under the impression that the difference in price is pretty much just paying more for brand reputation.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

dammit. read all thru this thread before i realized the topic wasnt about wenches. i guess that explains the lack of pix.

at the price point differential listed above you can easily make your choice. its an economic one, based on winch performance/reliability and not a patriotic one.

if you feel guilty about the slave labor kids eeking out a miserable existence rest assured that china will not be able to maintain social order indefinitely. they are growing way too fast and the internet is giving the populace way too much info. they can only pollute their environment so much, limit the number of children, repress thought and freedom so long without popping some rivets and having some massive political upheaval. time is a great equalizer.

now i am just left to wonder, why are there no wench emoticons?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

My last catalog from Quadratec had a Winch Buying Guide that laid out the different specifications in a nice chart that I cannot seem to find on their website to share. It included line speed, occasional or heavy use, etc... I had the same questions and thought it was very useful. My family has always used Warn on all their rigs but damn... they can get expensive. I may be looking at Super Winch for my Jeep, based on price and the feedback from that chart. That being said, I have not researched any customer issues with super winch yet, that is the next step for me.

Quick Reply: Why warn winch is much more expensive than Smitybilt winch