Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why you should look before you leap. JK Down...

Old 05-18-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why you should look before you leap. JK Down...

Well, I have seen some pretty crazy stuff but what I did last night was at the top of the list. I was out wheeling with my buddies on his grandpas trails and at the bottom of one of the trails was a open field. I thought it would be a good idea to get all over it and slide around in the wet grass. In 4Hi 2nd or 3rd gear to the floor I took off with 3 of my friends. Sliding around back and fourth and then oh shit. There was a 4 1/2 or 5 ft ditch that we went into front first. Hit the other side and then rolled on the drivers side. We all had to be pulled out the passenger side door. No one was seriously injured. One guy had to get stitches but just bumps and bruises for the rest of us. The jeep on the other hand is not doing so well. I have pictures but i need to figure out how to post them big. Anyhow the front two wheels are pushed back the front driveshaft broke and so did the passenger front strut. It is all messed up. Ill let the pictures tell the tale but my question is when the insurance company gets it fixed why can't i get a different suspension instead of going back factory or can I?

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-18-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry about your Jeep. If you are young, you might want to consider the long-term increase on your insurance premiums that might occur if you file a claim. It might cost you a lot more over time to file a claim. I'd get a repair estimate before contacting my agent.

I know it is not as exciting, but I follow this mantra when off-road:

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary
Old 05-18-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
Sorry about your Jeep. If you are young, you might want to consider the long-term increase on your insurance premiums that might occur if you file a claim. It might cost you a lot more over time to file a claim. I'd get a repair estimate before contacting my agent.

I know it is not as exciting, but I follow this mantra when off-road:

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary
What He Said Is allways the best rule! ^
Old 05-18-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldda called that stupid, not crazy. Way to tear up a 30K Jeep. I am glad no one was seriously hurt though.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I wouldda called that stupid, not crazy. Way to tear up a 30K Jeep. I am glad no one was seriously hurt though.
I am actually in complete agreement with RedneckJeep.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feel to bad. Several years ago we were camping on the back end of a pasture near some great old fire roads. The farmer, who had lived on the farm his whole life, was coming out for a few nightcaps with us. It was still daylight, we were watching him drive up through the field, when suddenly he just flat out disappeared.
There had been an old cabin out there that he had, years before, knocked down and just covered the cellar hole with some wood. He forgot completely about it, and drove his pickup right into that cellar. He was ok, but that truck was messed up.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by judesign
I am actually in complete agreement with RedneckJeep.
Ease up guys, I think he'll look before he leaps next time. I think most of can remember a couple of things we've done to cause some breakage, and after saying "Now why the hell did I do that?" or "Dammit , something told me..."
Old 05-18-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you have you KC's on? that sucks. did a nice number on your Rubi
Old 05-18-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man!! damn sorry about the Jeep, I feel bad for it. Glad everyone was ok'ish though.

BTW you do that kinda stuff in a $1500 pick-up truck not a 32K Rubi. Ok enough.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

its hard to tell from the pics, even after opening them up larger, but it appears that the body is fine and that the damage you incurred is as follows. Broke the hardtop and one pane of glass, possibly two, i can't see the rear hatch glass to see if its in tact or not. on top of that, you appear to have snapped the front axle houseing and tore off a lower control arm mount. I would assume you need to the following:

One Rubicon Dana 44 front axle, either complete or you're going to have to have the gears and axle shafts installed from the one you currently have to the new one, but either way you'll looking at roughly 2,000 there

the hardtop can prolly be fixed by someone who is good with fiberglass even though its not originally fiberglass itself and while they can fix the outside to look normal, the inside will have added fiberglass and it will be noticable, i would imagine that with we'll say two new peices of glass is going to cost around another 1,000

or you can buy a new hardtop at around 2,500

the thing you refer to as a "Strut" is a coil spring and apears to be fine, it just popped out when the axle snapped and the lower control arm also appears to be fine, but that would be hard to say for sure from the pic.

So you'll prolly be looking at about 3,000 to 5,000 out of pocket. thats a pricey wet grass donut, but at least everyone is ok.

Quick Reply: Why you should look before you leap. JK Down...