Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wilbur needs a checkup already

Old 09-08-2007, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wilbur needs a checkup already

Well my jk has been a blast to drive the past 2 weeks but i am afraid it needs a few things checked out. Now this is my first jeep and also my first "convertable" but this thing is making an awful lot of noise at 30 MPH Sounds like someone blowing through a large straw. Seams like its near the top of the windshield...i dont know for sure. Also i had a spot of transmission fluid on my driveway today and some fluid dripping off the skid plate under the transmission ( No i havent had any service done yet so cant be a loose plug...) And finally the main reason for taking it in to the shop. It intermittently takes like 5-6 seconds to finally start. Just keeps cranking and cranking and cranking. My aunt claims its only when its humid or rainy but it rained today and started right up every time. I am afraid i might be in for a long wait to get this fixed....i know that if they cant reproduce it they cant/wont fix it :sad: I do not want to install my remote starter untill this is fixed because i am sure they will claim i screwed something up installing it. Guess i will be making an appointment monday Wish me luck!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wind Noise TSB

I can't help you with your other issues, but I had the following TSB done and it quieted down my rig quite a bit:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-re...llar-windnoise

Of course it's a wrangler, so it'll never be quiet, but atleast it doesn't sound like I'm diving through a hurricane any more.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

oh i know it isnt meant to be totally quiet...its just fabric but the sound of rushing air HAS to be fixable! Driving me crazy I figure since itll be in for the starting issue i will let them fix it...heck thats why i paid for a warranty!
Old 09-08-2007, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

Exclamation Tell me about it...

I too have that starter issue, every now and then it will take a few seconds and then start right up. I had it at the dealership for an oil change, they gave me a year of oil changes for free when I bought it, but i forgot to mention the starter. Please let us know what the dealer says. -Captian
Old 09-08-2007, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

It still amazes me in this day and age that a car company with two years to engineer an automobile can't get things right prior to sale. And these aren't electronic details, but simple mechanical issues that can be tested by almost anyone at any time. The more disaster stories I hear, the more I think I'll visit another manufacturer.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:45 PM
JK Junkie

Ours does the starting thing too. Sometimes it wont start, we have to stop cranking and then try again. It always starts up in about a second on the second try. It seems to be totally random too. Im not too worried yet, it always starts and I HATE to take my vehicles in unless I absolutely have to.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Yeah i hardly think this is a disaster...it does eventually start up and always on the first try but cmon...its 2007...we cant make cars that start in under 3 seconds? Cmon DCX get with the program! When i know something you will too.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

ok, i made an appointment for tuesday night drop. I will let you guys know what they say next week. BTW it did the starting issue 4 times today....finally pissed me off enough to take it in...besides i want my remote starter in ASAP i dont think im getting a hard top this year so im gonna need that extra 20 mins of warm up!
Old 09-21-2007, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Well since i install them for a living that is essentially not true, these days at least. Used to be the case the only way to bypass security was to "bury a key" by putting a key in a box under the dash. This is very rarely used anymore for obvious reasons. In fact we often install starter relays and starter kills to prevent tampering with the system....it is almost impossible to start a vehicle by using remote start wires simply because the systems are so complex and so many things have to happen internally for the engine to fire and the security to accept it as a legal start....its just impossible to do. The units we use, Audiovox, use a brake sense wire that unless the key is in the ignition and turned to on, the unit will shut the engine off if the brake pedal is depressed. Of course a thief can not shift into gear if they do not depress the brake pedal. So saying that a remote start removes all security is not a very accurate description. Even if they managed to defeat the brake sense wire, the unit automatically shuts down after a maximum of 20 minutes. So they will be driving down the road and it will shut off.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

oh there are also many options, if you wanted to be totally sure they couldnt drive away you could tap into the reverse and drive sense wires and use them as shut downs too....the chances of a thief knowing how to bypass all of these measures is HIGHLY unlikely, plus knowing he would have a maximum travel distance of 20 minutes....makes it a target that is not really worth the risk

Quick Reply: Wilbur needs a checkup already