Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Will be buying... auto or stick

Old 09-23-2009, 04:22 AM
b1g
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Will be buying... auto or stick

I tempted to buy a auto JK but I'm kinda worried I'll regret it. I guess my worries are caused by the fact that most people seem to get the stick.

Why is that so?
Is the auto JK not liked ?
Old 09-23-2009, 04:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is an auto and I like it just fine. There's a poll around here somewhere on autos and problems. You'll see the majority have been trouble free. I think the most complaints come from the PCM needing to be reflashed. Pretty simple procedure if needed.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 09-23-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Total opinon of the buyer. I would not rule out the auto because of reliablilty concerns, seem to be good units. My suggestion is base your decision on your application. There are pro's and con's for both. Start by knowing what you will be doing with the jeep and then look at the merits of each tranny.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by b1g
I tempted to buy a auto JK but I'm kinda worried I'll regret it. I guess my worries are caused by the fact that most people seem to get the stick.

Why is that so?
Is the auto JK not liked ?
WELCOME to the Forum

6 speed JK's are not easy to find in Quebec. (many auto Sahara's)

But, I recommend the 6 speed. Look around in this forum, you will find the answer.

BTW Join us at the French Canadian Social Group at https://www.jk-forum.com/group.php?groupid=12

Also, visit us at the Central Canada Forum. (Members from ONT and QC)
Old 09-23-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you are going to be doing trails with hills and any rock climbing, I suggest you get an automatic. I like manuals in general, but people often struggle with getting the right speed/gear for a muddy climb and it is tough to ease up onto rocks unless you are good at using 3 pedals at once.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:15 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Machine154
If you are going to be doing trails with hills and any rock climbing, I suggest you get an automatic. I like manuals in general, but people often struggle with getting the right speed/gear for a muddy climb and it is tough to ease up onto rocks unless you are good at using 3 pedals at once.
Rubi makes it easier. I prefer the manual though it is tougher in some spots to drive.

I prefer the selectable engine braking and being able to pick a gear before obstacles. Some here are real loose and to where i can stick it in 3rd, 4-lo and ramp up it. My auto buddy couldn't get close. Also you'll get a lower crawl ratio with the rubi/6spd...not to mention you dont need to regear with 35s! The auto would be nice if it was a 5spd, but a 4? What is this the 80s?! I went with the 2 more gears to also make the gutless 3.8L a little more livable.

Last edited by GoodysGotaCuda; 09-23-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess it comes down to personal preference, but I guess it could be easier with a auto, but more fun with a manual. upto you really
Old 09-23-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no...... not again.............. auto for me.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Stick for me. Had them all of my life. I like being in total control of engine speed at every moment. And the stick gives me more options in the event of starter/battery problems.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an auto and I enjoy it, no complaints. Like everyone else says, just a matter of preference.

Quick Reply: Will be buying... auto or stick