Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Will football helmet decals stick?

Old 05-30-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will football helmet decals stick?

I am about to take off my "X" decals and replace them with the football helmet decals that I got from my alma mater. Does anyone know if the adhesive that they use on the football helmet decals is strong enough to hold it in place through "Chicago-type" weather swings (ie VERY hot, VERY cold, lots of rain, and lots of snow)?

Thanks!!!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pgreen822
I am about to take off my "X" decals and replace them with the football helmet decals that I got from my alma mater. Does anyone know if the adhesive that they use on the football helmet decals is strong enough to hold it in place through "Chicago-type" weather swings (ie VERY hot, VERY cold, lots of rain, and lots of snow)?

Thanks!!!!!
Oh yeah. Probably too strong. You'll never get it off without taking off the paint. So if you do that, you better plan to sell to another alumnus. Probably better off with a regular "outside application" sticker from the team shop, or put that sticker on the windshield (I have a Washington "W" sticker on mine, but it is on the lower driver side of the windshiled. I wouldn't consider putting it on the paint.)
Old 05-30-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus if your Jeep hits head on with another football helmet, the sticker might tear a little. Mine always did!

X2! I would worry about the paint.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure you can get some custom made that are the same but are automotive grade so as not to ruin the paint. Probably very reasonably, too. Decals are cheap. Paint is not.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hoovis
Oh yeah. Probably too strong. You'll never get it off without taking off the paint. So if you do that, you better plan to sell to another alumnus. Probably better off with a regular "outside application" sticker from the team shop, or put that sticker on the windshield (I have a Washington "W" sticker on mine, but it is on the lower driver side of the windshiled. I wouldn't consider putting it on the paint.)
Great advice everyone.... I think I am going to "play it safe" and just affix it to the back window. The last thing I though of was that it was going to be "too strong."
Old 05-30-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pgreen822
Great advice everyone.... I think I am going to "play it safe" and just affix it to the back window. The last thing I though of was that it was going to be "too strong."
You could always get some magnetic material from a sign shop and stick them on that.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hoovis
that is not true. They are made of a thick 3M material and made to take on and off helmets..
Old 05-31-2008, 04:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on now, a true blue alumnii would want it to stick so as not to be removable by anyone.....
Old 05-31-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buster04
that is not true. They are made of a thick 3M material and made to take on and off helmets..
Buster, you may well be correct. In my experience, the helmet stickers I have used are so strong that I would never consider putting them on paint. I had one on my Pathfinder's back window for 8 years before it began to fade enough that I wanted to replace it. Practically took a chisel to get it off. No way that if it was on paint it would not have taken some paint with it.

But you are right that they are made to be removable. But I believe it might have to do with how long they remain applied. For example, taking one off after being on a helmet for a game is probably far easier than taking one off after it has been baking in the sun for a year or two.

But it might work fine. I just won't be testing it on my Jeep.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Super Freak

If it is a vinyl or polyester sticker/decal an aplication of heat from your wife's hair dryer will help it to peel right off. this usually removes most of the glue as well. You then can use WD40 and a soft rag to get the rest off. Wash and wax the vehicle and it is as good as new unless there was paint fade everywhere except where the sticker was.
Btw when stickers fade the UV protection has worn off and the sticker material itself will be weakened thus the small piece syndrome as it breaks and cracks instead of peel off.

Last edited by only_in_my_jeep; 05-31-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Will football helmet decals stick?