Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Windshield cracked.... Again!

Old 02-06-2013, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna shop around for a window with that feature
Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone ever tried a clear vinyl wrap on their windshield as an added layer of protection? I wonder if that would work even?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Maybe something like invisible shield. Or I wonder if anyone knows any other type of clear vinyl to use
Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

One key point; never put your defroster on full hot when your windshield is cold. This is sure to make the tiniest defect propagate rapidly into a crack.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:50 AM
JK Newbie

Same thing just happened to my windshield. I drive a '13 as well. POI is tiny, almost looks like a slightly oversized pit, but it cracked out to about 4 inches. Most likely from the 12 degree outside temp while I was skiing this past weekend, and the heat cranked up on the inside.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Wicked Lobstah
Same thing just happened to my windshield. I drive a '13 as well. POI is tiny, almost looks like a slightly oversized pit, but it cracked out to about 4 inches. Most likely from the 12 degree outside temp while I was skiing this past weekend, and the heat cranked up on the inside.
I have had at least three occasions in my extended family where windshields were cracked due to the defrosters being put on while ice was on the outside. I personally had the opposite happen to me. I once sprayed a garden hose onto my windshield when the car was sitting it the sun the instant the cold water hit the windshield cracked from top to bottom.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer

I have had at least three occasions in my extended family where windshields were cracked due to the defrosters being put on while ice was on the outside. I personally had the opposite happen to me. I once sprayed a garden hose onto my windshield when the car was sitting it the sun the instant the cold water hit the windshield cracked from top to bottom.
I wish that was the case so that way I could just not use the defroster. Each crack on mine has been due to a rock or something impacting the windshield.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by six2sixJNS

I wish that was the case so that way I could just not use the defroster. Each crack on mine has been due to a rock or something impacting the windshield.
Getting those small dings repaired really does help. My done has a 98 TJ. I had a significant chip repaired over three years ago and it has not changed at all since then.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 AM
JK Freak

Windshield glass differs greatly in quality. OE quality has always done me well. Aftermarket has always cracked within a week (when driving a lot). I have had 8? or so broken windshields. You need to find "good glass" because otherwise it is just better to leave the windshield broken.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check your insurance coverage. In know mine give me free windshields and it was only a few $$$ more.

Quick Reply: Windshield cracked.... Again!