Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Windshield wipers

Old 12-17-2013, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wipers

Do they make a windshield wiper that doesn't suck?
Put a brand new set of winter wipers on my JK and right off the bat I have wide streaks (mostly on the drivers side off course).
Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rubidon
Put a brand new set of winter wipers on my JK and right off the bat I have wide streaks (mostly on the drivers side off course).
Yes the expensive 40 dollar ones
Old 12-17-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubidon
Ive had really good luck with the Trico Force from Orilieys auto parts. Usually can go almost a year before they start to get crappy. Most others ive tried would go only a few months before chattering and streaking....
Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tribulation138
Yes the expensive 40 dollar ones
I'm hesitant to buy the real expensive ones in fear the would be just as terrible.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

I had Bosch Icons and they suck...now I have Bosch Icon on the left and RainX Lattitude on the right - will see which sucks less. I really want to order a set of these scrub blades though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmewpmtwOxs
Old 12-17-2013, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

I'd pay a $100 for wipers if I knew they'd work as they should.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wipers are just a strip of rubber. There's no magic about them, certainly not $40 worth of magic.

Cleaning and polishing the window glass will have the biggest effect on the wiper's performance. I'm not talking about going to a gas station and hitting the window with their cruddy water and squeegee. Clean the glass with dish soap, use a claybar, then follow up with some rain-x for a good polish. Wipe down the wiper blades as well.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

Just remember wipers sit on shelves for long periods of time. The blades dry out. I hit new and used blades with armor all wipes to keep them from spliting.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glass is porous so it's fairly easy to trap contaminants, dirt, bug splatter, etc. into the windshield. The best solution for the problem is to first clean the windshield to remove any contaminants and then coat the windshield with a water repellent material which will also help to fill up the pores.

I'd suggest these two products to start off with and hopefully it will reduce chatter/streaking.

Amazon.com: Glass Science Glass Scrub Auto Glass Stripper 9 oz: Automotive
Amazon.com: Aquapel Glass Treatment By PWG 2 Single Use Applicators PPG: Automotive
Old 12-19-2013, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed Bosch ICON wipers on the wifes JKU about 2 months ago, and they've been great in the rain. Just had our first snow followed by ice last week and I was impressed with these wipers.

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers