Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

windshields

Old 07-21-2007, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most of them come from the new jeep tires till they wear a little bit. But this was from a semi i passed.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
I don't know my first replacement broke in shipping so I had to wait one more week. It has lasted till now. The first one was within three weeks of the JK. Funny thing is this is happening ON THE ROAD. Not offroading. I expect things to happen offroad but driving down the hwy (not interstate)?
The only way you are going to break the windshield off road is by smashing it into a rock or rolling it. I doubt that the windshield frame would ever flex enough to cause a stress crack. Under extreme flex, I heard of windows popping out of hard tops and I have also heard of rear windows shattering out of four runners that were not rolled down. Jeeps have always been notorious for broken windshields, I am sure that the new curved glass will cut that down a bit but they are still too steep to deflect rocks instead of eating them..... mine is in need of replacement too!
Old 07-22-2007, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

ck out your safety glass very well it had saved my life when i had a very large wheel chock off a semi on the interstate and smash into my windshield right at my head. glass shattered all over me i was able to pull off the road doing about 70mph blind. it didn't happen in a jeep but my pick up a few yrs ago it didn't really set in how close & fast my demise could have been until returning home and thinking about it. so my life is owed to a piece of safety glass
Old 07-22-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default Not its all cracked up to be...

I bought my first Jeep about 3 months ago. The first crack in the windshield appeared about 2 weeks after taking it off the lot. I normally would wait a year or so before replacing a windshield, but since the Jeep is so new, I replaced the glass.

About 1 month afterwards, I received a crack in the NEW windshield. While out of town, a SECOND crack appeared! Aaaargh! I mentioned it to a Jeep buddy and he laughed and said, "You've never owned a Jeep before, have you?!". To be fair...I live in the mountains in Colorado where the D.O.T. loves to cover the roads in sand during snowstorms....then again, it's been summer for a few months now!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

glass place said $400 for mopar, wait till oct new aftermarket glass $100
Old 07-23-2007, 04:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by justrok
The only way you are going to break the windshield off road is by smashing it into a rock or rolling it. I doubt that the windshield frame would ever flex enough to cause a stress crack. Under extreme flex, I heard of windows popping out of hard tops and I have also heard of rear windows shattering out of four runners that were not rolled down. Jeeps have always been notorious for broken windshields, I am sure that the new curved glass will cut that down a bit but they are still too steep to deflect rocks instead of eating them..... mine is in need of replacement too!
Nope seen a lot of trees reach out and smack a vehicle on the way by. I just figured I have been driving 21 years and have only replace 3 windshields. 2 were from offroading. 1 was a tree the other was a rock kicked up by a vehicle I was following. The one that happened on the road was unusual in that I was the only vehicle on the road. I think it may have been a kid with a BB gun. All I know was I hear a crack and see the chip.
Now I have had the JK 7 months and have had one slow motion rock fly across 3 lanes of traffic and hit my windshield dead on in front of my face. The other I have no clue when it happened I just found it washing off the numerous bugs that seem to collect on it. I just need one more and I got half the chips or cracks I got in my lifetime on one vehicle. I did not know this about jeeps. Is there something in the geometry that makes them more succeptable to cracks and chips? I know it collects more bugs than anything else I have ever owned.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
Nope seen a lot of trees reach out and smack a vehicle on the way by. I just figured I have been driving 21 years and have only replace 3 windshields. 2 were from offroading. 1 was a tree the other was a rock kicked up by a vehicle I was following. The one that happened on the road was unusual in that I was the only vehicle on the road. I think it may have been a kid with a BB gun. All I know was I hear a crack and see the chip.
Now I have had the JK 7 months and have had one slow motion rock fly across 3 lanes of traffic and hit my windshield dead on in front of my face. The other I have no clue when it happened I just found it washing off the numerous bugs that seem to collect on it. I just need one more and I got half the chips or cracks I got in my lifetime on one vehicle. I did not know this about jeeps. Is there something in the geometry that makes them more succeptable to cracks and chips? I know it collects more bugs than anything else I have ever owned.

I am sure that you have seen rocks hit your other cars right? In most cars the rocks deflect and don't take such a hard hit. Now that you are driving a brick around (Jeep) with a windshield that is almost vertical, the rocks don't graze any more. As far as tree branches and rocks flying up from vehicles breaking your windshield while driving off road, start crawling and quit with that Baja 1000 stuff.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by justrok
I am sure that you have seen rocks hit your other cars right? In most cars the rocks deflect and don't take such a hard hit. Now that you are driving a brick around (Jeep) with a windshield that is almost vertical, the rocks don't graze any more. As far as tree branches and rocks flying up from vehicles breaking your windshield while driving off road, start crawling and quit with that Baja 1000 stuff.
Wish I could we call what I listed getting to the fishing hole. Not too many rocks to crawl around here anyway (Coastal SC) and the trees are only a problem when you don't pay attention. I am just listing personal experience. I know the hunters around here frequently replace glass after a season due to driving offroad. This is not glass that was shot out but broke out due to going a bit too quick and not watching the trail as close as you should. BTW I live on a dirt/rock road and have all my life and with such you learn not to follow people too closely because stuff gets kicked up. As I said 3 in my life before the jeep 2 since. The odds seem to run agianst the jeep when it comes to the front glass. I am not complaining that is what insurance is for and SC has a law where if you have full coverage you get free replacement/repair however I think a Jeep would be a little tougher. I mean a small rock thrown up by someone's tire should not do as much damage to the greatest offroad vehicle made right?

Quick Reply: windshields