Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Winter drving - sand tubes?

Old 11-27-2007, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whoa

I have been told that is the key and that people often forget you can take off with ease but stopping is no different. I would think that on ice it might even be harder to stop in 4WD than in 2WD?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hockey pucks

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
The problem with ICE is the bigger the tire the more slippery it gets. So if you are running on 35x12.5, you might as well be on hocky pucks. studded tires or chains are the true combatants for ice.
Wow, I never thought about the aspect of tire size being a factor. That makes sense, I guess that if you have smaller tire and air down which I would think would help in snow you would screw yourself on ice... This is getting very complicated.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Great

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
tires tires tires.

i ran maxxis bighorns last year. I can't enough about how much those tires kicked A$$!

you'll love your JK in the snow. no weight necessary
I guess I can put the two tubes of sand I bought in the trunk of my Wife's Mustang GT. That sucker has to be driven like you have an egg between the accelerator and your foot in snow. On ICE it has a problem where the ass tries to pass the front bumper. I gotta give the wife credit though she drives it back and forth to work everyday since 2002 except this year she put summer performance tires on it. I think she intends on taking my JK
Old 11-27-2007, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KMHENRY77
I guess I can put the two tubes of sand I bought in the trunk of my Wife's Mustang GT. That sucker has to be driven like you have an egg between the accelerator and your foot in snow. On ICE it has a problem where the ass tries to pass the front bumper. I gotta give the wife credit though she drives it back and forth to work everyday since 2002 except this year she put summer performance tires on it. I think she intends on taking my JK
Hey man you & your wife might want to be careful. Just because you drive a 4x4 doesn't mean anything. Best advice is to be careful and not get overconfident and cocky. That's why you see all those SUV's in accidents during snow storms because they think just because they drive a 4x4 they can drive like maniacs.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I get the picture

Originally Posted by Henri
Hey man you & your wife might want to be careful. Just because you drive a 4x4 doesn't mean anything. Best advice is to be careful and not get overconfident and cocky. That's why you see all those SUV's in accidents during snow storms because they think just because they drive a 4x4 they can drive like maniacs.
We found a woman in her new hummer spun out and got stuck in a ditch last winter. You could see where she lost control and fought for hundreds of feet before sliding into a monster ditch. She was overconfident and cocky because when I got down there to see if she was OK she saw I was driving a mustang and promptly told me to go F myself. I guess that is the last time I try to help a Hummer out.

But seriously she must have been really flying along and hit ice under the 1" of snow on the road which was tough enough for me to crawl along in the mustang at about 10 mile per hour with out the rear end trying to pass the front. I think that it must be very easy to get over confident and end up screwed.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the snow, 4wheels are better than 2.... On ice, it doesn't matter... Ice is slick, 2wd or 4...

Keep the gas tank full, and you wont need sand bags...
Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've used sand bags or straw bales in the bed of my pickup and they definitely help, as with pickups the weight distribution is all over the front wheels, not over the driving wheels. But never thought the extra weight did much on shorter wheelbase vehicles. As someone else said, a full tank of gas will help more.

Quick Reply: Winter drving - sand tubes?