Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Worst luck with jeep mods ever!

Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Worst luck with jeep mods ever!

so i think i offically have had he worst luck with all my mods on this jeep. stubby antenna missing the right base so it wiggles. all black paint on mbrp exhaust completely gone within 2000 miles. trektop fits like ass and the rear plastic clip was broken wen i got it. 1 of my 5 new sidebitter rims bought was beat to shit when i got it in the mail. both teraflex speedbumps exploded within 1000 miles of install. rancho rear bumper rattles like SHIT, but thats alright cause i bought the whole bumper for 100 dollars. my seat covers look like a 10 year old stitched them, they are completely crooked and already ripping. got an orfab roll cage installed get it back and my hardtop has a huge gap down the center and both my front doors dont even get close to closing WTF both front window tints are forming some air bubbles as well. i cant even imagine whats gonna happen wen i try install my lights, horn, amp, and sub. not looking forward to doing anything till i get all this shit sorted.... anyone els have anywhere near as many problems as me? love my jeep but hate all the problems that come from modding and how much $ ive been dropping.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just thought I had bad luck I'm sorry to her about your problems. Have you spoken with any of the manufacturers about your issues. As far as the cage goes, I'd never have left the installers if it wasn't just like I wanted it.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

anyone....
Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

I had early disasters with gears and elockers. After I replaced my D30 up front with a rubi D44, I trashed the elocker and had the 5.13 gears replaced twice and my rear 5.13's grenaded along with the carrier. Only once did the installer take responsibility and assist monetarily to replace it. I have tons of mods and for the most part all is well. I still remain as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs when I am on the rocks because of my past pig problems.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

dang dude that sucks, btw i forgot to mention that my installer got fired last week so noone is taking responsibly. not gonna stand for that tho....
Old 09-05-2011, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

More Mod "fun"

We rushed to get my Jeep ready for Moab EJS and literally threw on (less than 3 days t'll we had to leave) a front ProRock44 with ARB and RCV's along with bolting on a rear RockJock 60 ARB and 40 spline shafts. A new Woods shaft was also needed in the rear. While at Moab I lost both the front and rear shafts due to not (rushing and forgetting) using .20 cents worth of locktite. . End result was saved front shaft and gears because the pinion nut only needed replaced and locktited. Had to drill out the yokes in the back and bolt on the shaft ( pro rock crawler style). Did these repairs through the night ( 2 separate nights) and back on trails next days.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jctnt1
More Mod "fun"

We rushed to get my Jeep ready for Moab EJS and literally threw on (less than 3 days t'll we had to leave) a front ProRock44 with ARB and RCV's along with bolting on a rear RockJock 60 ARB and 40 spline shafts. A new Woods shaft was also needed in the rear. While at Moab I lost both the front and rear shafts due to not (rushing and forgetting) using .20 cents worth of locktite. . End result was saved front shaft and gears because the pinion nut only needed replaced and locktited. Had to drill out the yokes in the back and bolt on the shaft ( pro rock crawler style). Did these repairs through the night ( 2 separate nights) and back on trails next days.
These kinds of stories helps me put my (relatively minor)shade tree mechanic trials and tribulations in proper perspective.

So far my mods, while most more minor, have all went pretty well both vendor quality and install.

Last edited by Yankee; 09-06-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

I'm sorry to hear all the problems, most of my mods are minor but I guess I've been lucky with install and vendor quality. . . But must admit when I read this . . .
my seat covers look like a 10 year old stitched them, they are completely crooked and already ripping . . . . I started dying laughing cause I was looking at my seat covers the other day thinking the save thing about this particular spot
Old 09-06-2011, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey214
I'm sorry to hear all the problems, most of my mods are minor but I guess I've been lucky with install and vendor quality. . . But must admit when I read this . . .
my seat covers look like a 10 year old stitched them, they are completely crooked and already ripping . . . . I started dying laughing cause I was looking at my seat covers the other day thinking the save thing about this particular spot
I have the Coverkings and they are of a similar nature. They are only two, maybe three, months old and the black has already started to turn purplish. But just remember, you get what you paid for. These were about a quarter of the Okles so there was no need to expect perfection!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say that I'm overly happy with the Jeep aftermarket as a whole. Compared to the motorcycle aftermarket it's like night and day. I've bought some things for my Jeep that have been as advertised , work/look great and the customer service is terrific (my Clayton lift comes to mind, so does anything I bought from JKS) but I've gotten far more things that ranged from junk to just mediocre and customer service has been nonexistant. I've had the powdercoat slough off of parts in big sheets because they sprayed over rusty metal (Curt, Smitty). I've had grossly expensive parts come through with nothing but black oxide coating which rusts immediately (Currie). My Tom Woods driveshafts were not greased from the manufacturer. My Rampage Hi-Lift mount is complete Junk (poor design and manufacturing quality). Finally, I've yet to buy a tire that would properly balance.

In short, sad to say but I don't think the OP's experiences are that far away from normal.

Quick Reply: Worst luck with jeep mods ever!