Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Worth it to Special Order.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth it to Special Order.

So I have been looking at an Unlimited X with tons of options, but cant seem to find one in the color I want.

Is it worth it to have one built to the specs and color I want? Or is it best to get the closest possible choice on the lot?

I will probably be using the customer preffered discount, but was wondering what expereinces folks have had with taking whats in stock off the hands of the dealer vs ordering. Do you think I stand a better chance of striking a killer deal past the preffered discount? Or should I just order what I want, and stil get a good discount?

Not sure what the wait times have been.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's my $.02. I originally was going to order mine. The dealer was able to deal with me more since I got one off of the lot, so the one on the lot was cheaper. On top of this, many on this forum have had long delays waiting for theirs.

However, getting everything you want is a good thing too. I ended up settling for a different color (Red Rock when I wanted Steel Blue), but I've come to really like the color.

I'd say if you can stand the wait, go ahead and order it. If not, pick one from the lot and you might save a few $$ too.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

I would think you would have more power if you said you wanted to order one due to the dealer not having the one you wanted. It coud be used in your favor for price.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it comes down to is what you can live with, and is getting exactly what you want worth the wait, is the dealer is giving you a price that makes up for the differences in what you want and what you can settle for? I went to get my Rubi around this time last year, like they could be found on a dealers lot. I had to have dual tops and an auto, other than that I was pretty open to what I could find, which was bupkiss, nadda, nothing. So I ordered exactly what I wanted, at a price I was pleased with, and never looked back. It was worth the wait. As much as is possible, I love my hunk of metal and scratched plastic. But I am sure if it was Red Rock or Greystone, or Steel Blue I would be as happy(not puke green).

So I guess we really can't tell you which would, absolutely, be best for you, but, hell I will anyway. The waits aren't quite as bad as they were so order what you want. Or buy it off the lot now and start having fun this weekend.

Lotta help I am.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I ordered my 08 Rubicon 2Dr on Feb 6 and the estimated ship date is 4/24. This could give me possession the first week of May, but it's anybody's guess. I was determined to get exactly what I want, and my dealer was kind enough to give me a 12 week lead time (i.e., the truth). I'll tell you, it's been a tough wait, but if you want some perspective check out the hundreds of pages of Forum member's epic ordering trevails.

I've passed the time pouring over these pages, learning about modifying JKs, and ordering mods

The possible good news for you is that you're ordering an X, which seems to be quicker, generally. Personally, I think you'd get better pricing off the lot for logical reasons, but either way, if you go prepared with the invoice price with the options you want, you're almost guaranteed to get a fair price, if not from one dealer, then from another. Good luck, and welcome to JK life!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

my $.02. I HATED the waiting time. Then again I might just be impatient
Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

I opted not to order because I got a great price and it had most of what I wanted
Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up Order It

Just don't check on the status everyday and you will live.

I ordered mine in September and received it at the beginning of February. It really wasn't that bad of a wait because you can sit on these forums and research and research every product you want and by the time you get your Jeep, you will know exactly what you want to do with it.

Plus I learned how to change the oil, shift at proper rpms, what tire pressure, and how to take the top down properly, etc. months before I even had it.

Then when you walk into the dealership when it's ready you get to see that sticker on the windshield that says: Built for XXXXXX XXXXX. THAT'S AWESOME. Because it's all yours! I probably love and take care of my Jeep 10x more because of it.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
my $.02. I HATED the waiting time. Then again I might just be impatient
the wait sucks, 'specially when you lose the entire summer.
Originally Posted by Conradfreedumb
I opted not to order because I got a great price and it had most of what I wanted
And I would have bought off the lot in a heartbeat........if I could have gotten even close to what I have now. For near the same price, wasn't happening this time last year. Best prices were on orders. Still are, I believe.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Junkie

order it, youll end up with an 09......

Quick Reply: Worth it to Special Order.