Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrangler the 6th most unsafe vehicle of 2015 according to these idiots

Old 09-02-2015, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrangler the 6th most unsafe vehicle of 2015 according to these idiots

I find it unlikely that the 2007 JK performed well in frontal tests and suddenly in 2015 they magically became unsafe. Plus the door comment shows these idiots have no clue. This report seems more like a political agenda to me.

6. Jeep Wrangler

The Jeep Wrangler has become legendary for offering incredible off-road performance and old-school simplicity. Unfortunately, that simplicity makes it a safety liability. Unsurprisingly, its iconic removable doors don’t do much in the way of crash protection, and it earned a Poor rating on the side impact test. Combined with marginal ratings in the front small overlap front and head restraint and seats tests, the rugged go-anywhere Jeep leaves something to be desired in the safety department.

Read more: 8 of the Most Unsafe Cars of 2015
Old 09-02-2015, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure safety standards have changed a bit since 2007.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RoysRig
I'm sure safety standards have changed a bit since 2007.
They have changed an in several cases rigged to target certain vehicles just like the fuel economy schtick has been.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not even in the bottom 5!!!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The "Front small overlap" test is new and caused a lot of issues for auto manufacturers. The JK hasn't been redesigned since that was introduced, but, the NHTSA has a good point. Many frontal impacts are "glancing" as compared to full frontal, or even 50% offset frontal impacts. What they found in these glancing impacts was significant weakness in windshield pillar and side structure/front rail strength when directly impacted, including significant intrusion into the passenger footwells, causing major trauma. So, it's a valid test, but now that it's included as part of frontal impact scores, ratings appear "less safe" for manufacturers who haven't addressed this structural vulnerability.

What we're looking at is a vehicle that hasn't been updated in light of changing crash test standards over a period of almost 10 years.

Same thing with side impact scores. Whereas most SUV's now have side curtain airbags in addition to seat-side impact airbags, the Wrangler still doesn't have side curtain airbags. Seat-side airbags are only available as an option; my 2012 Sport does not have them.

Anyway, can't really comment on the political side of things. Crash test ratings are great, until they aren't. These are the stories of junk media outlets that believe all vehicles are appliances and have no other purpose than to use as little fuel as possible while transporting the typical American family and their enormous collection of junk.

Edit: The original article says the small frontal overlap test was introduced in 1995, when it was actually introduced in 2012.

Read more about the type of testing that small overlap encompasses:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/rat...al-crash-tests

Last edited by jk_sea; 09-03-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jk_sea
The "Front small overlap" test is new and caused a lot of issues for auto manufacturers. The JK hasn't been redesigned since that was introduced, but, the NHTSA has a good point. Many frontal impacts are "glancing" as compared to full frontal, or even 50% offset frontal impacts. What they found in these glancing impacts was significant weakness in windshield pillar and side structure/front rail strength when directly impacted, including significant intrusion into the passenger footwells, causing major trauma. So, it's a valid test, but now that it's included as part of frontal impact scores, ratings appear "less safe" for manufacturers who haven't addressed this structural vulnerability.

What we're looking at is a vehicle that hasn't been updated in light of changing crash test standards over a period of almost 10 years.

Same thing with side impact scores. Whereas most SUV's now have side curtain airbags in addition to seat-side impact airbags, the Wrangler still doesn't have side curtain airbags. Seat-side airbags are only available as an option; my 2012 Sport does not have them.

Anyway, can't really comment on the political side of things. Crash test ratings are great, until they aren't. These are the stories of junk media outlets that believe all vehicles are appliances and have no other purpose than to use as little fuel as possible while transporting the typical American family and their enormous collection of junk.

Edit: The original article says the small frontal overlap test was introduced in 1995, when it was actually introduced in 2012.

Read more about the type of testing that small overlap encompasses:

Frontal crash tests
That link is interesting. I notice that the small overlap is right in front of the tire where most JK's only have a piece of blow molded bumper. The exception is the 10 year anniversary Rubicon bumper that has the removable ends. My after market has nothing in front of the tire area, lol, but I think the plastic that is missing is insignificant in anything major.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, strange... if that is the case then why does jeep sit in the lower 10% in terms of fatality.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
Hmmm, strange... if that is the case then why does jeep sit in the lower 10% in terms of fatality.
That was basically my thinking. I know I feel safer than I would if I were driving a Kia Soul around.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't see much safety changes since 2013. I've been in 2 pretty serious front end collisions in my 2013 Rubicon and it held up great both times, no injuries. I'll think I'll keep my Wrangler
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3186576311.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	582.0 KB
ID:	623718   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3415954050.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	630.0 KB
ID:	623719   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2260075217.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	533.5 KB
ID:	623720  

Last edited by TXBeachJK; 09-03-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TXBeachJK
I haven't see much safety changes since 2013. I've been in 2 pretty serious front end collisions in my 2013 Rubicon and it held up great both times, no injuries. I'll think I'll keep my Wrangler
It looks like you nailed that car in the "small overlap" zone. I guess that blow molded bumper is the 6th most dangerous thing to a Toyota. Glad you walked away from that.

Quick Reply: Wrangler the 6th most unsafe vehicle of 2015 according to these idiots