Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrangler Worst Valued Vehicle - Consumer Reports

Old 12-24-2014, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2012 Camry SE...traded it in for a 2015 Unlimited Sahara. Did I make the right choice? WITHOUT A DOUBT!!
Old 12-24-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love how they used the video clips from their review of the JK a couple years ago that had the nimrod who couldn't even drive or wheel it properly.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default my 2cents

Id still take my wrangler anyday.....wonder howmany vehicles at consumer reporst made across the "pond"
Old 12-28-2014, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

CR was testing and evaluating cars. The JK isn't one of those. It IS a motor vehicle, and can be used as a DD, but it certainly isn't a "car". I wonder how many cats died over CR's article.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

The Jk has a roll cage. It still has poor side impact crash rating. It also lacks the great 8.4" screen and uconnect. The JK is using old technology. Chrysler prices reflect something cutting edge. Tried talking wife into jk. She doesn't want to deal with poor insulation, substandard infotainment, water leaks and poor crash protection. Looks like hemi conversion is at least $10k.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by wcjeep
The Jk has a roll cage. It still has poor side impact crash rating. It also lacks the great 8.4" screen and uconnect. The JK is using old technology. Chrysler prices reflect something cutting edge. Tried talking wife into jk. She doesn't want to deal with poor insulation, substandard infotainment, water leaks and poor crash protection. Looks like hemi conversion is at least $10k.
Sounds like she wouldn't be happy in a Jeep. As for the rest of us, we didn't buy our Jeeps for insulation, infotainment, or protection from water (crash side impact rating is taken care of by rock rails, LOL). We bought them because we do things with them that most vehicles cannot do; things that CR doesn't even consider while rating vehicles ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yq51rHh8MY

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-29-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Jeep Wrangler is a utilitarian vehicle. Its predecessors were even more utilitarian. People who buy it, do so for the capability and endless ability to modify the vehicle. It's not purchased for mpg, smooth, quiet ride, "infotainment", etc. you want entertainment out of a JK, get out of the house, hit some terrain where very few venture. That's your JK entertainment. As for pricing, even Hyundais are in he $30k's. Sounds like she needs something like my wife prefers. A Volvo, Beemer, etc.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Grand Cherokee sounds better suited to your needs.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

Something I find funny reading this thread and comments...
My past with Jeeps involves YJ and uncle's TJ. I just got a 2015 rubicon, and prior I was in a 2006 Xterra offroad. I'm amazed at how nice the interior is on the 2015's compared to prior generations. My friends, who are also more familiar with older jeeps than newer jeeps, are also surprised at how nice the interior is.

Now the inherent design of having a removable top (and such items) lead the Jeep to be noisy and ride a bit rough, but that is it's customer. I think there are a lot of people that buy jeeps because they are "cool" and don't end up liking them because they are rough around the edges and aren't as refined as the luxury cars out there - these are the uninformed buyers that don't really know what they are buying. Doesn't matte how cool a vehicle is, you gotta buy what suits your needs and wants. Personally I prefer to have minimal electronic technology in my vehicles, because that is always what goes wrong. For example: german cars are great vehicles, but their electronics are always not functioning properly - over engineered comfort features IMO.

Last edited by spicoli; 12-29-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk_sea
The Grand Cherokee sounds better suited to your needs.
We are in the process of Lemon Law with her Cherokee Trail Hawk. The JK is using old technology. No reason to justify the current price. There is nothing cutting edge about the JK. This probably contributes to the bad CR listing. Consumer Reports is only a minor tech reference. However, this thread is discussing the CR listing.

After the significant problems with her Trailhawk it's time to move away from Chrysler as a daily driver. As a toy, the JK makes a great foundation. As with all Jeeps the price should be free. The upgrades are expensive.

Quick Reply: Wrangler Worst Valued Vehicle - Consumer Reports