Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrong axel gear ratio from factory!?!

Old 08-30-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong axel gear ratio from factory!?!

I ordered my 2012 JK Sport 2 drs 6spds in July from Canada. The seller clicked on the 3.73 axel gear ratio option, as it was an option I wanted. He then clicked on the Trailer Tow Group option, he told me the the Tow Group option overides the 3.73 option and said that the 3.73 must be included with TTG. I recieved my Jeep last friday (only 5 weeks after order, yay!) and I noticed that the RPM vs Speed was off for a 3.73. I jacked the Jeep to find out that I got the 3.21 axel gear ratio

I found out that 3.21 works good for me as the Jeep is my daily driver, but losing half of an already quite low towing capacity (2000 to 1000 pounds) makes the Trailer Tow Group I paid for nearly useless now. Where do you guys think the mistake comes for? The seller, Factory or was it just me not careful enough orering my Jeep?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

if your not happy with the 3.21 i would suggest going back and talking to your seller....also see if they charge you for the 3.73...if they did make sure you get reimburse if not then make sure you get the gear you paid for. i use to work at a dealership and that happens all the time..customer would say something and seller would choose something different..trust me sellers(some) really dont know jack about the cars...they just help push you to buy it.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Spryquasar
I ordered my 2012 JK Sport 2 drs 6spds in July from Canada. The seller clicked on the 3.73 axel gear ratio option, as it was an option I wanted. He then clicked on the Trailer Tow Group option, he told me the the Tow Group option overides the 3.73 option and said that the 3.73 must be included with TTG. I recieved my Jeep last friday (only 5 weeks after order, yay!) and I noticed that the RPM vs Speed was off for a 3.73. I jacked the Jeep to find out that I got the 3.21 axel gear ratio

I found out that 3.21 works good for me as the Jeep is my daily driver, but losing half of an already quite low towing capacity (2000 to 1000 pounds) makes the Trailer Tow Group I paid for nearly useless now. Where do you guys think the mistake comes for? The seller, Factory or was it just me not careful enough orering my Jeep?
I wonder if the Jeep came in with no tow package, and they added the hitch/wire harness in the shop.

That is a major omission. Get the build sheet and see if it includes the tow package, and see what it lists as the axle ratio.

Also, double check your "jack and spin the tire" inspection, just to be absolutely sure before you call them on it.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wasn't there an issue early on with the 3.21's vs the 3.73's from the factory? People who ordered the 3.73's were getting 3.21's or something like that.....
Old 08-30-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would complain for sure, maybe they can just order in the gear and regear it for you.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Noxian
I would complain for sure, maybe they can just order in the gear and regear it for you.
IF they were to change the gears on their nickel, maybe you could supply the gears on yours ... and choose a better ratio. Maybe there's a compromise to your benefit.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default Requesting build sheet now

I called Chrysler to request my build sheet. They will send it to me through mail (they won't send emails up here it seems). I don't want to go to the dealer empty handed, so I'll wait for the build sheet to arrive (the lady said from 1 to 2 weeks, awww! an other waiting starts!!).
Thank you for the tips.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Spryquasar
I called Chrysler to request my build sheet. They will send it to me through mail (they won't send emails up here it seems). I don't want to go to the dealer empty handed, so I'll wait for the build sheet to arrive (the lady said from 1 to 2 weeks, awww! an other waiting starts!!).
Thank you for the tips.
The dealer may be able to give you a build sheet on the spot.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Here's my Build sheet, I guess I was wrong to believe that the Tow Group came with the 3.73. But I'm quite happy with the way the 3.21 runs on the highway. Looking at my build sheet, I'm happy to discover that the rear axel is a dana 44, I didn't know that it came in a bare bone JK! =D

Click image for larger version

Name:	Build Sheet.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	209391
Old 09-11-2011, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

I would go in forsure and ask for the upgrade if you paid for it. Make sure you take your order form with you and the build sheet. What dealer was this from?

Quick Reply: Wrong axel gear ratio from factory!?!