Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wtfo?

Old 01-26-2008, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Wtfo?

So I was at the dealer today checking on purchasing a second JK when I asked about lift kits and lifetime warranties.

The salesman told me the warranty would be void if I used any brand other than FORTEC.(that is what they install at the dealer) Well that's nice to know concidering I already bought a 2.5" skylifter kit.

Anyone else know what kit's there dealer uses?

I know this subject has been beat to death but I don't understand how they can say one lift is OK but another lift kit of the same height will void the warranty. WTFO?

I guess it comes down to who has the bid to supply jeep dealers with lift kits.
So if I install a FORTEC kit and go out and snap an axle or throw a rod than i'm ok but if I have another brand kit than i'm screwed. WHATEVER!?!?!

Guess I will hang on to the stock springs and shock's so that when something happens I can swap it back and use my warranty
Old 01-26-2008, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every dealer treats this different. So if you do lift your Jeep and your dealer won't cover something just go down the road to the next Jeep dealer, they may cover the part that the first one would'nt.......
Old 01-26-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Also keep your eye out for the new MOPAR lifts! As heard at SEMA courtesy of Project-jk TV!

The warranty issue has been around forever. The Dealer will warranty Fortec, cause they sell and install fortec. There are other dealers that iwll warranty anything, some will warranty NONE! Do some homework, see where other "Jeep" guys/gals are taking their trucks and use that dealer! I have a Dodge dealer right up the street from my Jeep dealer, whose mechanic actually installed my lift (moonlights at an ofroad shop!) who'll warranty my truck. Pays to do a little homework.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

I think they are trying to sell you the lift kit, probably won't cover it unless they install it too.

The dealer doesn't want to cover anything... even on a 100% stock vehicle. They will take advantage of anything they can to say they won't cover something.

I wish there was a way to give up your warranty for a discount at the time of purchase.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your dealer just wants you to buy the lift they use. They probably have some deal with fortec (I didn't even know there was a fortec JK lift). In any case, the brand of your lift has no bearing on the validity of your warranty. Here's a lengthy thread on this topic:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/what-lifts-void-factory-warranty-25941/
Old 01-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Former Vendor

They cannot void your warranty on your Jeep, because you got a lift. It's against the law. Of course their ignorance can make it difficult, but you do have rights under the Magnusson-Moss act. The only thing they can void is the parts you modify, or if your modification causes the failure in question.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by usgaone
Also keep your eye out for the new MOPAR lifts! As heard at SEMA courtesy of Project-jk TV!
There was mention somewhere here that Jeep would not extend the factory warranty to the MOPAR (Rubicon Express) lift kit.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wtfo?

BTW... what does the 'o' stand for?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:56 PM
AK
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doojer
BTW... what does the 'o' stand for?
WTFOver...
Old 01-26-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Our local dealership carries the "Fortec" conversion Jeeps too. You have your choice of 33's stuffed under a stock 2wd all the way up to the 2.5" Skyjacker Lift with 35's, bumpers, the works. The 33" package (wheels and tires)=$5000. The Whole deal 35's: $12,000+. Cost in parts: $3K TOPS, and that is paying FULL retail. The finished product looks pretty nice, but man, you are gonna take it in the shorts if you buy it through the dealer. They currently have a BASE X that they are asking $35,000 for. It doesn't even have the power windows.