Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

X or Rubi

Old 01-29-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rubi or NUTHING...

x's cant do crap.

unless its MY X, and it rocks.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Coy
JK Enthusiast

Default Hisperia WTF

Just kidding with yah, We'll see you on the trail. and no doubt be right there with ya rubi man.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think i have the only x in town but i wave to everyone and for the most part they wave back even the tj's. I haven't found anywhere that i cant get to in the x but i would like to add a lift and some tires. the main reason i didn't get a rubi is that it was not available with out power windows and locks and a bunch of other garbage that i didn't want.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
I own a Rubi and have nothing but respect for the X models, I bought the Rubi simply because it is less mods I have to do in the future.
Agree, I have friends with X's that do just fine on the trails, I could care a less who drives what, it's a Jeep and that's good enough for me, bought mine just because I said so...done...next.

And Coy I knew you were stirring the pot just by reading what you posted
Old 01-29-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

i would be lying if i said i don't get a bit of rubi envy when i see those letters across the hood, i am new to 4x4ing though so what do i know anyways! haha
Old 01-29-2009, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coy
I am just bored and stirring up the pot alittle. If I had the cash I would have gone for the rubi as well.
I could have gone for the Rubicon, but I've had my share of rock crawling Jeeps and I didn't see a need for another. The hood stickers don't impress me as I see plenty of Rubis that will never see serious off road work, if any at all. They were purchased for the perceived status.

So, where does the Rubicon have an advantage over my high-end X? Rock crawling and deep mud. It's built for that. On normal trails it has no advantage at all. Ditto on the beach. If you need 4 low on the beach, you've already screwed the pooch. My LSD means I have better traction in 4 high. The Rubi has open differentials unless in 4 low, where the lockers can be switched on. Rubis have a more durable front axle for severe work.

Inasmuch as 95% of JK drivers spend the overwhelming majority of the driving on paved roads, the advantages of a Rubicon shrink to insignificance. In contrast, a well equipped X sees its advantages come to the forefront. The stock Goodyear SR-As are much better in snow than the BFG MTs. They are also much quieter and provide for a significant increase in fuel mileage due to lower rolling resistance. Add to that a more economical rear axle ratio.

My X has the heavy duty suspension, 32" rubber and the same ground clearance. For less than $400 you can add factory rock rails and an evap skid plate. Another $600 will get you a set of MT tires on steel wheels. Windshield mounted side-view mirror is well under $100 for when the doors come off. Lighting kits are inexpensive and easy to install.

In short, unless you are planning to get into hardcore off road adventures on a regular basis, skip the Rubicon. Buy an X or even a Sahara. Spend the money you save on equipment and mods that will suit the type of use your JK will see.

The fact is that you can build a X into anything you want, but you don't need to spend the extra $$ for something you may never really use or need.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought an X becuase I don't have very much money
Old 01-29-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We bought the Rubi. We could afford it, and it's got the options for wheelin' so, I won't have to spend the time nor money to get the goodies it came with. I've got an '86 Bronco that I have spent years under, While it's fun to work on. The Rubi has in it what i spent a couple of years and a couple of thousand dollars doing to the Bronco. I built my own axles for the Bronco Dana60 rear, 5.38 gears and a Detroit locker. Just in parts....$1200. Dana 44HD in the front, around $1400 in parts. It was kind of wierd to drive one off of the dealer lot that has more wheelin' option than one I've had to build out. At half a century old, it's getting harder to get under the rigs any more.

Bob K.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nwbronco
We bought the Rubi. We could afford it, and it's got the options for wheelin' so, I won't have to spend the time nor money to get the goodies it came with. I've got an '86 Bronco that I have spent years under, While it's fun to work on. The Rubi has in it what i spent a couple of years and a couple of thousand dollars doing to the Bronco. I built my own axles for the Bronco Dana60 rear, 5.38 gears and a Detroit locker. Just in parts....$1200. Dana 44HD in the front, around $1400 in parts. It was kind of wierd to drive one off of the dealer lot that has more wheelin' option than one I've had to build out. At half a century old, it's getting harder to get under the rigs any more.

Bob K.
Good points Bob. I have loved tinkering or building on the last several vehicles I have owned so I got my X to build it the way I want it. I am sure in about 12 years when I am in your shoes I will probably just shell out the money up front and buy it.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Junkie

Sahara, Rubi, X, Y or Z... I don't care

The important is not the model; it's how you build your Jeep.

Quick Reply: X or Rubi