Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

x or rubicon?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EVS JEEP
Go with the X pkg with sway-bar disconnect & rear locker and save yourself $4000 for a lift, gears, wheels & tires. Thats what I did.
the only problem with that is that i most likely wouldnt be buying new but that would work if i found a used x with the rear locker and sway bar disconnect
Old 03-11-2009, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Get what you really want. If you don't, you will regret it either way.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

I've owned both. Go Rubicon.

You'll have all the drivetrain you need. Then for under $2K you can get a BB, wheel spacers and 35" tires. Bam! You've got one hell of a trail rig that you can use as a daily driver.

Rubi has 4.10 gears. If you go 6MT, no need to regear with 35" tires.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rubicon FTMFW!!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SONIC
it depends.
Are you building a rock crawling BEAST? or are you building a very capable trail rig?
if youre going BEAST mode, aka 38"+ tires, new T-Case, All that stuff, then go X because youre going to replace the Rubi parts anyway.

if youre going trail rig, go Rubi, if youre keeping the 44's the t-case and all the goodies then go for it.
X3

Rubi is the best package deal IF you off-road.

But, If you use it only on road, buy the X, and you will save gas, and have extra money in your pocket.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tboth09
the only problem with that is that i most likely wouldnt be buying new but that would work if i found a used x with the rear locker and sway bar disconnect
The X can be optioned with a rear locker and sway disconnect for $1500. I have this factory option.

The real answer to this question lies with you. If you plan on doing to real wheelin get the rubi. I have spent a fair amount of money getting my X to rubi specs (see sig) and it gets expensive. If you do any real rock crawling a front locker is a must. Going uphill in the big boulders with an open D30 can be a winch festival, I've been there. My winch got a fair workout w/o it and I still used it this last weekend (even with front locker) but this was some pretty xtreme wheelin.

On the other hand, if you're doing mild 4wheeling I don't think the Xtra $$ for the rubi is nessesarily worth it.

Me, I wish I'd ponied up the 5k-6k and bought a rubi and got the 32" tires (only to offset the cost of 35s), the front D44 and locker, 4:1 T-case (this is a big one) locking rear dif, sway disconnect, rock rails and 4.10s (tho those will need to go)
Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

The Rubicon does come with more options of course. Everyone's favorite being the front and rear lockers.

About the Dana 44 axles... the x has a Dana 44 rear and I've never heard any problems with a front 30 (It's the 35's that had problems).

About the electronic discos... what kind of wheeling do you plan? You'll get more flex with manual disconnects than the electronics and depending on your future lift and wheeling, the electronic discos may sometimes have trouble reconnecting.

About the ARB lockers... no doubt who doesn't want lockers coming with their Jeep. So that is a big plus.

If I had the money, I would've bought a Rubicon because of its out of the box accessories. However, I will say this, I love my X and wouldn't trade it for a Rubicon now. Why, you may ask. Because I get to mod it however I want. Instead of ARB lockers I'm getting OX. I bought my X with the puny tires and upgraded to 33" BFG's. I get to add a stronger aftermarket rocker guards. And, I can do practically all of this for less than or equal to (depending where you live w/ taxes) the Rubicon model's pricing.

Overall the choice is yours. At first I would've gone Rubicon. But now, I adore my X and if someone offered me a Rubicon, I'd laugh at them.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

The wife said she did not care . But a Rubi is the only way I would buy one .... But thats just the way I am .Either way it will be a sweet ride , you will love it.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The right answer is Rubicon, but there is no wrong answer.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought an '08 X with the S24 package with Trak-Loc LSD. I added Rubi rock rails (given to me by a friend who went with a set of rock sliders on his '07), an Evap skidplate (think of it as a JK jock strap) and just bought a set of 285/70R17 Hankook Dynapro M/Ts (roughly 33"), which I had mounted on a set of Steel 17x8 Cragars. I'll install those in April after the snow risk is pretty much gone.

This set-up will take me just about anywhere a stock Rubi will go, albeit relying on the BLDs to get over tough obstacles. BLD works, it's just not graceful like lockers. Lots of ruckus, snaps and cracks. But, it will get you there. The best part is that I spent considerably less than a Rubi sells for. I get better mileage too boot (3.73 gears vs 4.10s).

However, the biggest reason I opted for the X was not the cost. I made my choice based upon where I spent most of my off road time... On ocean beaches. In the sand, a Rubi has nothing on my X. Indeed, my LSD gives me the edge in high range, and low range is never needed on the beach. Unless you manage to get stuck. But, after 30 years of beach driving... I don't get stuck. The increased flotation of the big Dynapros will make sand driving all the more easy this season.

It's all about what you plan to do with your JK. I didn't need a Rubi. But if your plan is serious off road adventures, you might as well spend a little more up front as you will want the lockers and sway bar discos.

When you shop for your JK, have a good idea what you want to do with after you get it home. It would be silly to spend the extra dough and never use the capability. Likewise, you don't want to regret not having the extra capability when you head out to rough stuff.

So, decide what you want to do and buy accordingly.

Whatever you decide your needs are, you'll have a blast doing it with a JK.

My regards,

Widewing

Quick Reply: x or rubicon?