Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Anza Borrego - Definitely A Place to Visit!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anza Borrego - Definitely A Place to Visit!

This past weekend I spent a few days out in Anza Borrego, CA. It is my second trip out to the area. I am headed back out again in November. I am very surprised to find out that so many people have no idea that the area exists. After both trips people would ask me where I went. "Anza Borrego," I would reply to bewildered looks. "Never heard of it," was the common reply even from 4 wheel drive friends that do go out occasionally. So, in case you haven't been out there yet I would humbly suggest that it is worth the trip. Anza is the second largest state park in the United States. The number one is in Alaska I believe. You can use the Google for specific stats. Bottom line is that it has everything. It is the desert so it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter and at night. Prepare and plan accordingly. In the two times that I have been I explored two completely different areas of the park. In November I will yet again be in a completely different part that I haven't seen yet! I will leave you with a few pictures to spark your imagination.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8629.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	627878Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8642.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	694.2 KB
ID:	627879Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8639.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	949.0 KB
ID:	627880Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1741.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	627881Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1498061162.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	627876Click image for larger version

Name:	image-969030615.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	627877

Last edited by Machoo; 10-20-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Pretty sure largest is Adirondacks in New York. And, yep, ABDSP is a pretty special place. 600,000 acres, from below sea level to over 6,000 feet elevation, 300 miles of Jeep trails.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Default Good Call Mark

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Pretty sure largest is Adirondacks in New York. And, yep, ABDSP is a pretty special place. 600,000 acres, from below sea level to over 6,000 feet elevation, 300 miles of Jeep trails.
Mark you are correct! Alaska has the largest "National" park. "Wrangell-St. Elias is the largest U.S. national park with over 13 million acres". In my ignorance I didn't know the difference between National and State parks. Now one more interesting discovery....The Adirondack website: Adirondack FAQs | Official Adirondack Region Website actually says that the Adirondack is not a National Park or a State park. But that it is actually the largest historic landmark in the US! Learned something today.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Don't Miss It !

The Anza Borrego Desert State Park (ABDSP) is the largest "state" park in the continental USA. It is 65 miles long north to south and 35 miles wide east to west. Within its borders are about 700,000 acres, less about 50,000 acres taken up by the town of Borrego Springs and supporting state and county organizations. There are 60 different species of mammals including big horned sheep and mountain lions, 60 different species of reptiles including five types of rattlesnakes and 330 different species of birds, yes that's 330 different types of birds. (We are on the Pacific Flyway) If you are a "birder" this is the place for you ! The elevations in the park range from -130' on the east side to 6,200' on the west side. The ABDSP is one of two "Dark Sky" locations in the lower 48 states. Translation: You can see more stars here than just about anywhere else in the country. I could go on here, but I think you get the idea. For JK'ers, there are over 500 miles of Jeep trails in the ABDSP. That being said, the Anza Borrego is a wilderness park with a good many rules and regulations on where we can wheel. Bottom line - stay on the trails and you will be all right. No quads, sand-rails, dirt bikes, etc allowed in this Wilderness Park. BUT - on the east border of the ABDSP is another State Park known as the Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area where all of the above banned vehicles are allowed to operate pretty much at will. There's a lot of recent history to be learned going back to 1774, and if you are interested in prehistoric Native American history you can go back about 12,000 years. If you get a chance, stop by and spend a day or two. Go to the ABDSP Visitors Center, which is on the NW side of the Park in Borrego Springs. Maybe I'll see you there. DF (aka) Fred, an ABDSP Volunteer

Last edited by Desert Fox; 10-20-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
The Anza Borrego Desert State Park (ABDSP) is the largest "state" park in the continental USA. It is 65 miles long north to south and 35 miles wide east to west. Within its borders are about 700,000 acres, less about 50,000 acres taken up by the town of Borrego Springs and supporting state and county organizations. There are 60 different species of mammals including big horned sheep and mountain lions, 60 different species of reptiles including five types of rattlesnakes and 330 different species of birds, yes that's 330 different types of birds. (We are on the Pacific Flyway) If you are a "birder" this is the place for you ! The elevations in the park range from -130' on the east side to 6,200' on the west side. The ABDSP is one of two "Dark Sky" locations in the lower 48 states. Translation: You can see more stars here than just about anywhere else in the country. I could go on here, but I think you get the idea. For JK'ers, there are over 500 miles of Jeep trails in the ABDSP. That being said, the Anza Borrego is a wilderness park with a good many rules and regulations on where we can wheel. Bottom line - stay on the trails and you will be all right. No quads, sand-rails, dirt bikes, etc allowed in this Wilderness Park. BUT - on the east border of the ABDSP is another State Park known as the Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area where all of the above banned vehicles are allowed to operate pretty much at will. There's a lot of recent history to be learned going back to 1774, and if you are interested in prehistoric Native American history you can go back about 12,000 years. If you get a chance, stop by and spend a day or two. Go to the ABDSP Visitors Center, which is on the NW side of the Park in Borrego Springs. Maybe I'll see you there. DF (aka) Fred, an ABDSP Volunteer
Wow desert fox. Great info!!! Were you there this last Sunday around noon by any chance? My wife and I stopped in there and spend some time taking to the discovery Center in on the exhibits. Such a cool place
Old 10-20-2015, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Desert Fox - Thanks for the info. We will be exploring ABDSP next month. A number of RV'ers will be dragging their Jeeps to the area and staying at a local RV park. We are looking forward to exploring the park.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

... Maybe I'll see you there. DF (aka) Fred, an ABDSP Volunteer
Unless I'm confused, I think that's going to happen--week after Thanksgiving.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The Anza Borrego Desert State Park (ABDSP) is the largest "state" park in the continental USA. It is 65 miles long north to south and 35 miles wide east to west. Within its borders are about 700,000 acres, ...
You should go fix Wikipedia, Fred. ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anza-B...ert_State_Park
Old 12-06-2015, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wow

I have been wanting to go out there for sometime, looks great! Thanks for all the great info! when I get out there I will look you up, D Fox...and thanks to all the rest of you for your info and pics too.......
Old 12-18-2015, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

My wife and I have been to Borrego Springs many times hiking, but since getting a JKU Rubicon in 2015 we will be doing some wheeling now too. In addition to a fantastic desert environment, it's also an International Dark Sky community, world famous for astronomy activity with amazing night skies and views of the Milky Way. It's a very laid back little desert town... We enjoy the atmosphere and people every time we go. The view at Fonts Point is not to be missed... Enjoy!

Last edited by SoCalSam; 12-18-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Anza Borrego - Definitely A Place to Visit!