Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Black Bear Pass - with Ophir pass

Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Bear Pass - with Ophir pass

One of this year must do's was Black Bear Pass.

The first Black Bear trip was we're we met ColoradoJeepWife/Rockyblue (Jenny and Tom) and their family in the town of Ophir to begin our journey. Both Ophir pass and Black Bear pass were new trails for both families.
Ophir is a very easy pass and is very pretty. It puts you onto HWY 550 about 10 miles north of Silverton which makes for a nice rest stop before heading to Black Bear Pass. Ophir pass is used a lot along with Imogene pass in conjuction with Black Bear pass while staying in Telluride or Ouray. They are both very pretty passes with Ophir being the easiest and fastest return route. The hwy via Ridgeway or last dollar road are other routes to close the Black Bear Loop.

Since my daughter sat in the back and wanted to do Black Bear from the front she talked me into doing it twice. (she says Jeepin just isn't the same setting in the back seat)...
So Monday morning before she headed back home, we jumped in the jeep and took the highway thru Ridgeway and Ouray to Black Bear. I think we were the first ones down Black Bear that day, yes we did it solo...

Black Bear Pass.
You always hear about the steps and switch backs which are awesome on their own but what I never read about was the beauty of Black Bear pass before you get to the area were you first see Telluride. Black Bear is now one of my favorite passes of Colorado.. albeit I still have a lot to do. Pearl Pass, Schofield, Yankee Boy basin, and Poughkeepsie gulch are the my other favorites.

I put together 4 videos from both trips.
For the most part they will cover the entire trail of Black Bear pass and part of Ophir pass.

My videos are mostly from my GoPro and show the view from the Jeep and the difficulty of the trail with some added pictures of scenery..... no music yet - but you can turn on the radio and enjoy some music while you watch....

Hope you enjoy them. they should play back to back - approx 54 mins of video.
http://youtu.be/wA19ixPGozc

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 08-12-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love Black Bear. The views are just incredible. Should be going down it about two weeks from today.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the same problem I had with my go pro. Your mounts are creating a vibration noise. I added a little bit of foam tape between the mounts. Yea its a little tight, but 0 noise.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

We just ran Black Bear in the rain and I won't be doing that again...ever.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Nice video! Thanks for sharing. I was down there earlier this summer. We stayed in Ouray, and ran Ophir and Imogene one day. We didn't do black bear. Maybe next time.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BAJK
We just ran Black Bear in the rain and I won't be doing that again...ever.
I did that last year... In the snow and rain... Made for a bit more adventure and pucker factor on the shelf roads!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did it this last August. It was awesome
Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Black bear videos

One of the Best Black Bear videos I have ever seen (and i've seen quite a few of them on the net). Great job and Thank you.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Junkie

Great video, thanks.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Does anyone have inside info on these trails, our club is planning a month long trip out west, and any info will be appreciated...trail maps, campsites, etc. Thank you

Quick Reply: Black Bear Pass - with Ophir pass