Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Easter Jeep Safari

Old 12-04-2007, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Easter Jeep Safari

I'm a first time Jeep owner with a 07 Rubicon Unlimited. The purpose of this post is to ask the more experienced among you about the trails in Moab that are used during Easter Jeep Safari. I have only limited off road experience including most of the trails around Silverton and Ouray and a little near Farmington in Chokecherry Canyon. What trails would you recommend we drive with our mostly stock vehicle? I have aftermarket bumpers and a winch and I added 1.75 in. spacers up front to make up for the weight of the bumper and winch. My choice is complicated by the requirement to preregister and then take your chances on a lottery drawing for the trails. We would like to enjoy ourselves but not screw up our Jeep. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevemac
I'm a first time Jeep owner with a 07 Rubicon Unlimited. The purpose of this post is to ask the more experienced among you about the trails in Moab that are used during Easter Jeep Safari. I have only limited off road experience including most of the trails around Silverton and Ouray and a little near Farmington in Chokecherry Canyon. What trails would you recommend we drive with our mostly stock vehicle? I have aftermarket bumpers and a winch and I added 1.75 in. spacers up front to make up for the weight of the bumper and winch. My choice is complicated by the requirement to preregister and then take your chances on a lottery drawing for the trails. We would like to enjoy ourselves but not screw up our Jeep. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Fins and Things (all Sand Flats area)
Hells Revenge (all Sand Flats area)
Porqupine
Poison Spider (don't continue on to Golden Spike)

good ones for beginners
Old 12-05-2007, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

Kane Creek is pretty cool.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Default we are trying to keep Moab a secret

I think they are going to a new rating system. their old system was 2-4+. With a stock Ruby you should be ok on any of the 3+ trails . It is a very good place to learn what your Jeep is capable of doing . Kane Creek is a fun trail but can be narrow with Tamarak as in Pin stipping . Red Rock 4 wheelers has a good website to review the trail desciptions. It is a great time to be in Moab. Expect it to be crowded. rooms sell out early and you will see every type vehicle ever made. Watching other vehicles will give you confidence and help your wife understand that she is not the only one married to someone afflicted with this sickness

Last edited by capt scotty; 12-05-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've done Hell's Revenge, Poison Spyder Mesa, Cliff Hanger and Kane Creek in a lifted Liberty with a rear powertrax locker. My JK Rubi Unlimited, when stock, had larger tires, more ground clearance, better front axle articulation and a front locker. So anywhere I went in the lifted Liberty should be no problem in a JK Rubicon Unlimited. Others in our group of Liberties have done Golden Spike (front and rear lockers).

The issue with Kane Creek is high deep is the creek on any given day.

Last edited by JacksJeep; 12-05-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks all for the great info. Looking forward to Moab and getting to learn all I can.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alec W
I'd say Golden Spike is ok with a stock Rubicon but I'd avoid Prichard and Behind the Rocks.
Oh yeah....the Jeep is up to it for sure....but a fairly new driver might not be.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great question for the group - especially since Unlimited are so different from the old bobtails.

How 'bout Flat Iron Mesa (not backwards)?
The steep uphill should be fine, same with the narrow squeeze (I did that will my full width axles). The only concern I would have are regarding the coming down off some of the ledges (Tip Over Challenge), etc. I think Easter Egg hill would be fine in a Rubi too - even the right turn down the hill at the top.

Rose Garden hill should be a slam dunk with the lockers and long wheelbase.

In the pass they've lead an abbreviated Behind The Rocks run that avoids White Knuckle Hill and Nose (or is it High) Dive hill. You may still get to see Mushroom and Pig rocks...

If I can add to the scope of the thread, what could my stock Unlmiited X handle? It's hard for me to gauge since my experience in Moab was with two Detroit lockers and 35s...

Regarding the lottery -
If you're going with a group, collect all the forms and submit them in one envelop (clipped together). My last club has had great success in getting everyone on the same trail together. I think the organizers may be a little more willing to put a group of friends on a tough trail together - the group's more likely to take care of themselves and be less drain on the Red Rock guide.
Lastly, I think it's worth gambling for a particular trail. Just being in Moab is awesome. Plus, you get to do Arches (this park does have trails) and Canyonlands on the off days.

Quick Reply: Easter Jeep Safari