Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Headed to Colorado, looking for some trail recommendations!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headed to Colorado, looking for some trail recommendations!

Whats up guys. I am headed to CO next week with my 11 JKU rubicon and will be out there for 11 days with some buddies. We will be spending a few days in Telluride, Crested Butte, and Aspen. I have had my jeep in Crested Butte before and had the time of my life wheeling in Pearl Pass and the area around Emerald Lake. I do not know much about the trails around T-Ride or Aspen and was wandering if anyone had any must-see trails they would recommend. Since I need to drive the jeep back to the midwest at the end of the trip I don't want to do any extreme crawling and risk breaking anything.

So far I would like to do Pearl Pass when going from Crested Butte to Aspen, and I also want to see Crystal Mill. I have only been up the Crested Butte side of Pearl Pass just to tree line, not sure what the back side is like.

Also, I am really in to fly fishing so feel free to recommend any good rivers or backcountry spots.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive never been up there my jeep but i have takin my dirtbike up there a few times. The place i alway seem to be going back to is the Silverton/ Ouray area. There are a lot of trails around in that area including Black Bear Pass, Engineering Pass, Imogene Pass, Alpine Loop, etc. Theres just to many to name. Also theres a lake you can go to up the mountains, and its called Wheeler Lake. Ive never done it but ive heard nothing but good this about it. The enterance is a few miles south of Breckenridge on 9 heading to Fairplay by the Montgomery Reservoir.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Drive Imogene Pass over to Ouray when you're at Telluride. You can continue on to Engineer Pass via Mineral Creek. but Mineral Creek is rated difficult. It's actually not that difficult--mostly a few rock ledges here and there, and some pretty good exposure, but not quite as much as Black Bear Pass into Telluride (one-way road). You can see the Engineer Pass route on this video, but backwards (Lake City to Ouray) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1dvPQyn3og&list=UUIK_7F7GJJcvTo9d7Ag5cYA And here are a few photos from Imogene Pass ...

This was in August 2011 ...

Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Pearl Pass is closed still but is an awesome trail and not hard. Check here for updates. http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

Another good pass is Schofield Crested Butte to marble. It will take you by the crystal mill.

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 07-30-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Try the Taylor river when in crested butte. Crystal river above the mill all the way to Carbondale has fish. If your in aspen try fishing in town there's a nice walking trail this is the headwaters of the roaring fork. Silverton is no good on las animas to much mine runoff. Las animas around Durango is awesome.

Sent from my fish finder using JK-Forum
Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Fly fishing the Dolores out of uride is good also. If you want pigs fish Taylor river has our state record for rainbow. Most of the Taylor is private thoughjzz

Sent from my fish finder using JK-Forum
Old 08-03-2014, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome info here guys! Thanks for all of the recommendations. I am hoping that Pearl Pass will be open by mid August when I am hoping to cross it. Definitely planning on fishing the Taylor, I have caught some hogs up there in previous years.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check everytrail.com & traildamage.com
Once you get ready to hit the trails, these sites have very good info regarding directions, difficulty, maps, etc.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Check everytrail.com & traildamage.com
Once you get ready to hit the trails, these sites have very good info regarding directions, difficulty, maps, etc.
That is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ralioth
That is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks!
did you ever make it out here? Or' scarier yet, did you make it out and not make it home?

Quick Reply: Headed to Colorado, looking for some trail recommendations!