Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

How difficult are 3.5/5 trails?

Old 11-08-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult are 3.5/5 trails?

I wanted to try the whipsaw trail in my stock 2012 rubicon. I've never been on any real trails but I've done forest roads in my half ton pickup before, Ashely as a little mudding. I would be going with my wife and friends buy my vehicle will be the only one on the trail. i will have a winch by then.Any opinions?
http://www.expeditionportal.com/over...=Whipsaw_Trail
Old 11-08-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

As well as a little mudding*

Sorry autocorrect
Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

I read the link and it sounds real nice, but I would not go alone....never wheel alone. Especially if you get stuck or break down. Maybe post a thread and connect with some other forum members and get a trail ride together? Without pics and knowing your skill level it's hard to say if you'll run into any real issues with your stock set up. I have seen several stock jeeps go over rock ledges, etc. with little problem or minimal issue (find the best line to get up and over them).

Maybe some others on here have run the trail and can give you some advice. All in all it looks like fun.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is a true 3,5 rating out of 5 with 5 been true rock crawling then there is no way you can make it with a stock 4 door unless there is a bypass at the obstacles. On our local trails people with 4,5" of lift and 35" tires with 20 plus years of experience have a very hard time doing a 4 trail. We got a Rubicon with 2,5" BB lift and stock 32" tires and have a hard time on a 2,5 trail. Scrape the bottom of the Jeep a lot but don't need any help.

I don't think it is a good idea to do it without a second Jeep. But that is just me.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 4x4chick
If it is a true 3,5 rating out of 5 with 5 been true rock crawling then there is no way you can make it with a stock 4 door unless there is a bypass at the obstacles. On our local trails people with 4,5" of lift and 35" tires with 20 plus years of experience have a very hard time doing a 4 trail. We got a Rubicon with 2,5" BB lift and stock 32" tires and have a hard time on a 2,5 trail. Scrape the bottom of the Jeep a lot but don't need any help.

I don't think it is a good idea to do it without a second Jeep. But that is just me.
Agreed. If it's 3.5/5, your looking at a class 7 trail. The Rubicon is a class 10 trail. I wouldn't even consider, personally, doing anything over most class 3 or 4 trails alone. Not because I don't think I couldn't handle anything, but because if I broke down, the wreckers are gonna look at me funny when I call for a tow, lol. I would strongly recommend going with the advice given so far.. Find some like minded people close to you, and go with them, or even flag down local jeepers, and chat with them. Going alone is reckless. :/
Old 11-10-2012, 12:29 AM
JK Freak

While I agree with most of what has been said, the Rubicon being a 10 is an exaggeration. 3.5 (7 out of 10) is about the limit most factory designed vehicles with average drivers will want to run. 4 starts to get into heavily modified territory or body damage. 5 or a 10 are strictly buggies. Nothing built on a production line has any business being on it. The Rubicon can run the Rubicon Trail stock.

There is no way however I would run a 3.5 alone and even then I would have to have a trusted spotter and another vehicle to recover each other in case of a problem. We do a couple 3.5 obstacles and things can go wrong very quick. Those of us on 35's lifted struggle a bit. The 33's usually need a strap or a winch at some point.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you don't have any wheeling experiance I would stick to 1's and 2's... stock you can probably do 3's but you will want other wheelers with you showing the line. 5's aren't going to happen stock
Old 11-10-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Unless you want a lot of body damage, you are going to need lift and tires to do a 3.5.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Alright thanks for the advice everyone I guess I have more planning to do ?
Old 11-10-2012, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen stock Rubicons do 6-7/10 but they drug a good bit. There will be times you will need a spotter as well.

Quick Reply: How difficult are 3.5/5 trails?