Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Jeeps and Beach

Old 06-17-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flick
Just was out at OBX last week, and with the tires aired down to 15 I had no problems, except that ESP kept kicking on in deep sand. 4Lo without ESP, and it ran right through it. I have a 2007, and don't have the computer reprogram that allows me to turn it completely off in 4Hi.

I even pulled my trailer up and over the dune to get to my house. It bogged down a little going up, but was able to do it without much problem in 4Hi.

4lo in sand aired to 18psi never had any problems.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

In sand you need to air down to about 8-10 psi. You had too much air in your tires so they just dig in.

Flash
Old 06-17-2010, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

The wider and flatter your footprint is the better. Airing down is a great way to get a couple of inches of footprint. An AT or street tire will do better than an MT will on sand.
I have never experienced Wheel Hop driving the length of PINS(Padre Island National Seashore) hundreds of times. You may have just been feeling the aftermath of other vehicles ( usually trucks ) that went before you. If you feel like you are getting bogged down, steer to another track and sometimes back and forth. You will look like you are drunk, but you will keep moving.

Always be prepared to be stuck and get yourself out when driving on sand, there may not be someone around to pull you out.

I hope you at least used your own recovery strap.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just so happened i did bring my own strap lol!!!! I almost forgot it and that would have made for a really long day!!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just a shot in the dark and not to get off subject. But, you may want to take her in for a check up to look at the throw-out-baring. Looking at you sig. with it being a 2010 and manual tran.
Same thing happened on my Nissan P/U that you are describing, I had the clutch resurfaced and replaced the throw-out-baring and no more wheel hop. Just my opinion...
Old 06-17-2010, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was down in OBX a few weeks ago and had the same problem on the loose packed sand. All I did to solve the problem was turn off ESP. Stopped the jeep, put in in 4HI, held the ESP button for 5seconds and "ESP OFF" was displayed on the tach. My problem was solved, and I continued ripping down the beach!!
I never lowered my air pressure either, was running whatever is stock for the 18" wheels, maybe 33psi?

- Chris
Old 06-17-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Driving on the Beach Technique:

1. Open beer, take a few drinks so it won't spill.
2. Put sunglasses on so you look cool.
3. Click off your ESP and give her hell!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0603..jpg
Views:	142
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	73128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604..jpg
Views:	135
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	73129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0605..jpg
Views:	130
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	73130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0609..jpg
Views:	106
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	73131  
Old 06-18-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ngbsn1
Driving on the Beach Technique:

1. Open beer, take a few drinks so it won't spill.
2. Put sunglasses on so you look cool.
3. Click off your ESP and give her hell!
4. Wash down anything that might have come in contact with salt. I swear, I have rust everywhere after this! I didn't wash it down for a week ... :(
Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OnBelay
4. Wash down anything that might have come in contact with salt. I swear, I have rust everywhere after this! I didn't wash it down for a week ... :(
Bah... all we have around here is fresh water river beaches. So the heck with washing it, i'll just get it dirty again in a couple of days. My washes consist of driving fast through rain storms and htting large puddles to clean off the underneath lol. I sometimes spill beer in my lap which helps keep the seats clean a bit haha.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ngbsn1
Bah... all we have around here is fresh water river beaches. So the heck with washing it, i'll just get it dirty again in a couple of days. My washes consist of driving fast through rain storms and htting large puddles to clean off the underneath lol. I sometimes spill beer in my lap which helps keep the seats clean a bit haha.
I used to take mine swimming in fresh water streams, and would aim for any puddle I could find. I was in for a huge surprise when we changed out my ball joints: my steering knuckle, ball joints, drag link ends, tie rod ends, etc., had all seized up. It took a combination of 2.5lb hammer, butane torch, and various pullers just to get to the ball joints ... and the ball joints themselves were seized onto the steering knuckle. I don't think I'll be swimming too often now ... but I'll still get that snorkel because it looks so awesome (it's about time I did a mod that is actually VISIBLE).

Quick Reply: Jeeps and Beach