Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Michigan in March-Seeking Advice

Old 11-18-2017, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Michigan in March-Seeking Advice

Hello all,
I'm calling out to all you Michigan locals for some intel on Michigan Landscape in March. I intend on doing a loop starting in Northwest Indiana and taking a trip up through Lower Peninsula into the UP then back down through Wisconsin and Chicago to return to NW Indiana. Is the scenery during this March 3-10 worth this big trip or should I wait until summer break (Middle May). Any advice on places to see would be appreciated also. We will be camping and exploring the many forest roads of Michigan! TIA, Tilly

Last edited by Tilly; 11-18-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would wait. In northern Michigan we still get snow into April and the UP and Wisconsin can be worse. There are a few Offroad parks along the way mounds,rocks and valleys. In may there is the blessing of the Jeeps in mesick there will be 2000 plus Jeeps and 4x4s and twisted trails is down the road. Drummond island is a must stop. You can get the only Jeep badge of honor in Michigan here on Marble head. There is a lot in the up the tahquamenon falls, the kitch-iti-kipi springs. Plus there are a ton of breweries and wineries scattered throughout the northern areas.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cedarraider
I would wait. In northern Michigan we still get snow into April and the UP and Wisconsin can be worse. There are a few Offroad parks along the way mounds,rocks and valleys. In may there is the blessing of the Jeeps in mesick there will be 2000 plus Jeeps and 4x4s and twisted trails is down the road. Drummond island is a must stop. You can get the only Jeep badge of honor in Michigan here on Marble head. There is a lot in the up the tahquamenon falls, the kitch-iti-kipi springs. Plus there are a ton of breweries and wineries scattered throughout the northern areas.
Thanks for the info. Trying to put together an overland trip through the many forest roads of Michigan. Hoping to check out a lot of the new forest roads they are opening in 2018 in the LP.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

No problem. Drummond island is definitely worth the side trip. Lots of trails and an off-road park too.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I would suggest waiting for the nice weather as well. Go up the west coast of Michigan for the scenery. Hit Silver Lake Sand Dunes on your way up. As previously mentioned, go to Drummond Island. The drive across the UP is beautiful as well. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2017, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely wait. Silver Lake sand dunes, rocks and valleys in Harrison, and Drummond Island are three of my favorites in MI. If mud and snow are your thing and potentially crappy snowy weather then maybe March would be for you, but if it was me I'd wait until May.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:37 AM
JK Newbie

Brilliant, thanks for all the info, you've convinced me to wait. Have you heard any news concerning ORV trail expansion in the LP?
Old 12-02-2017, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tilly
Brilliant, thanks for all the info, you've convinced me to wait. Have you heard any news concerning ORV trail expansion in the LP?
I haven’t heard much but where I am (Traverse city) the orv trails that are available are more like fire roads/seasonal roads they aren’t challenging but can be very fun to run. Just watch out for the crazies. I’ve come across some very shady areas that warn about the government and protecting themselves from any trespasser. Make sure to stay on the trails and don’t wander off.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cedarraider
I haven’t heard much but where I am (Traverse city) the orv trails that are available are more like fire roads/seasonal roads they aren’t challenging but can be very fun to run. Just watch out for the crazies. I’ve come across some very shady areas that warn about the government and protecting themselves from any trespasser. Make sure to stay on the trails and don’t wander off.
Appreciate the heads up

Quick Reply: Michigan in March-Seeking Advice