Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Moab Trip - MNT BIKING & JEEPING (KANE CREEK)

Old 05-09-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moab Trip - MNT BIKING & JEEPING (KANE CREEK)

Spent Fri-Sun in Moab this weekend (5/6-5/8) and couldn't have asked for better weather. 90 on Sat and 85ish on Sun. Did some bike trails at Kodiak Bluffs Sat and some grub at Eddie's. Then moved on to some off-roading at Kane Creek...

We had never done this trail before, but it seemed like a decent challenge for us and came highly recommended from a few people we know. We took our time and did a few of the climbs 2 & 3 times so both my wife and I got a chance at it... BUT THEN!!!!! We came to a slightly technical section, judged the approach and felt we had it figured out. I believe we did it correctly, but our front left U-Joint didn't think we did and neither did our axle.

Luckily we were able to winch ourselves out of the jam using our high-lift since our 4WD was shot. Once we were turned around we hobbled in 2WD back down the trail and into town. Before hitting the road back to Salt Lake, we safety-wired our front axle shaft inwards so the left wheel could spin freely on the ride home.

Here's the damage.

BTW - We still had a great time and now we are uprading a few more things since it scared the out of my wife. WHOOO! Kind of a blessing in disguise if you ask me.

[

Last edited by jeepairforce; 05-09-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice break, is that a D30 you're running up front?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dremex
Nice break, is that a D30 you're running up front?
Stock 30. I just put in 5.13 not too long ago which may have added to the stress on the axle. I've been looking at upgrading to 44's, but the difference in advantage doesn't seem to outweigh the cost. Maybe just a stronger axle and u-joint??

We were lucky enough to get the break on video as well. I've been trying to get it to upload, but to no avail.

Quick Reply: Moab Trip - MNT BIKING & JEEPING (KANE CREEK)